RCA to VGA? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 5th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #1
Major Player

RCA to VGA?

Is there some kind of adapter I can attach to a PC monitors VGA port so I can connect my camera to it and use it as a field monitor? I have an old, old Commordore 64 monitor which has that kind of input and the picture comes out clear on it, except the picture is continuously rolling vertically, so it's obviously not useable, or is there anyway to fix it?
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

There should be a setting to control vhold.

If not, check for ground loops. To debug ground loops, one solution is to have all wiring off the same power outlet... you might just want to isolate the monitor and video source to debug (like disconnect them, and reconnect them somewhere else).

2- Commodore monitors should have 2 RCA plugs in the back... you can make yourself that cable as follows:

Get a S-video cable. This goes into your camcorder... use the camcorder as a DV bridge if you need to see your NLE.
Get a RCA cable (male-male; almost all are male-male). Cut this in half.

Make a S-video to dual RCA male cable.
Strip open both cables. Shield goes to shield/braid, center wire to center wire. To start, just tape everything onto a business card and keep the wires seperate.
One of the RCAs will carry luma, the other chroma. Via trial and error, you should figure out which is which. So label them accordingly.

Once you got that figured out, either solder your cable or buy a new one. cablewholesale.com I think has em.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Hmm, at the back of the monitor there are little holes with "V.H' "V.S" and some others...I assume VH is vertical hold? How exactly do I use these settings...are they screws in those holes or what?
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviv Hallale
Hmm, at the back of the monitor there are little holes with "V.H' "V.S" and some others...I assume VH is vertical hold? How exactly do I use these settings...are they screws in those holes or what?
Probably screwheads on the shaft of a pot or coil. If you shine a flashlight in you should be able to see for sure. Use a non-metallic screwdriver (available at Radio Shack).
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #5
Major Player

Ahhh, that helped...But the monitor is officially wonky. Luminance and Chromanance jumps, it also seems to lag...If I move the camera, the low-lights seem to take a half second to adjust...Shadows will move with the picture before being adjusted...But I guess 20 years will do that to monitor.
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion