pana AG-EZ50U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 6th, 2003, 01:55 PM   #1
New Boot

pana AG-EZ50U

anyone used this cam at all? how doth it compare to say, the trv950? yes, i can see that the chip size is smaller, besides that. i have a lot of exprience with both the sony 950 and 900. i hate the way the 950 holds, terrible weight balance and it's really wide. is this cam comparable in image quality?
Justin Strock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2003, 02:02 PM   #2
Outer Circle

The EZ50U doesn't have manual lower shutter settings, but does have 30fps frame mode. Both cams would have a playback of at least 500 lines.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2003, 02:17 PM   #3
New Boot

thanks frank, helpful as always. i'm guessing your suggestion for a 3CCD this small would be the MX5000, correct?
Old February 6th, 2003, 02:28 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Yes, as far as small hand-helds go. For a slightly larger hand-held, consider the GL2 and the VX2000. The MX5000 and GL2 are much easier to hold, though, than both the TRV950 and VX2000. The GL2 also has lower shutter speed settings and I'm sure you know about its frame mode. When I first looked at the TRV950, I thought it was a well-built cam, but I just couldn't hold the thing! It pulled forward and to the left. And if your palm sweats, you'll have to use 2 hands to hold it.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2003, 02:49 PM   #5
New Boot

actually i don't know really anything about the GL2... especially the frame mode.

i'd kind of ruled it out, just cuz i've heard bad things about canon sturdiness in general, but if you think it ranks with VX2000.

i found a good deal on a slightly used pd150 and have been trying to find a DVx1000 I can actually see in the "flesh" before i make my decision. i want to see for my self what all this 24p hoopla is about and shoot some video on both

but i've always really wanted smaller 3ccd. i waited and waited for the trv1000 to come out (too much time on supervideo.com) and when the 950 was released instead, my school video dept. got them and i was dissappointed with ergonomics.

the reason i'm considering the bigger, badder ones is because of the good deal i found and the narrative short i'm shooting for my senior project. it almost makes more financial sense to buy the cam than rent one after i way insurance costs and the like.

now that the MX5000 may be coming to the states as the 953, i'm all turned around again, i just saw about it on the MX forum today.

i can wait to get a camera, but it would be really nice to have one for this project, which i'll be shooting in a month. i have a friend with a vx2k that might lend it to me for my shoot and i'll get the audio on a minidat. we also have trv950s and dsr200s to check out at school.

what's your guess on how long it will take pana to release the 953? any advice on what to shoot on for my short? (narrative, quite a bit at night, location shots in the desert)
Old February 6th, 2003, 04:15 PM   #6
Outer Circle

The VX2000 is a more solid cam than the GL2, but this doesn't mean the GL2 is not solid, just different.

The PD150 is nice....

The PV-DV953 will probably be out in 2 months (in the USA). In Canada, maybe 3 &1/2 months. But I don't know if the PV-DV953 with be the US version of MX5000. It's speculation.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion