Video Training From The Military - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Closed Thread

Old February 10th, 2003, 05:41 PM   #16
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

<<As far as Korea, John, when you left... how long did it take you to relearn how to polish your boots and clean your room? hehehe.>>

You been talking to my mom, Joe? Actually...I was never enlisted. Felt like I was because I lived surrounded by U.S. military bases and personnel in Seoul. When I walked out my door, camouflage is what I saw.

All foreigners in Korea depend on AFKN...it's the only English TV channel in Korea. We had an interesting mixture of Seinfeld, The Simpsons, and Letterman together with military infomercial broadcasts ("Wear your hat!" and "Don't go jogging at night without your reflective vest!" and "Seoul Area Conditions Amber")

I met a lot of enlisted there and they were always pretty honest about why they joined ("It was either this or work in my uncle's warehouse. And now I'm learning computer science."...or "After a couple more years, I'll be able to go to college, paid for by Uncle Sam"...stuff like that). Of course, that's not to detract from the other reasons they had for joing...serving their country, etc....it's just the more practical reasons for enlisting were talked about more.

Politics and anti-military opinions aside...the military is a means for some to get a foothold on a career that they wouldn't normally have.
Old February 10th, 2003, 06:11 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Greg,
No can of worms. Just everyone seeing things differently, and that's what makes the world go 'round! For me, I'll do just about anything I can to help a current or former serviceman. I know what it's like. Been there, done that.
As for your nephew, if he's going to join to serve his country and get some sturcture in his life, then by all means GO FOR IT! I never realized how important in my life the military was until years later. Definitely helped to define the person I became over the years. Best of luck to your nephew!
Don
Old February 10th, 2003, 09:48 PM   #18
Wrangler

Speaking in statistical terms, the US Army infantry is probably no more lethal an occupation than a commuter job. How many US soldiers have been killed in the past 15 years vs. traffic deaths?

As a medical expert was recently quoted, obesity is a far bigger threat to American lives than terrorism.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 10th, 2003, 11:01 PM   #19
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I think we're drifting away from the subject of video training offered by the military services and into socio-political commentary, a field far outside of this site's scope.

So before we ignite impassioned feelings I think we'll close this thread and move on, eh?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion