My first locker room shot! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 25th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

My first locker room shot!

What you see is a Set of lockers, and a camera pan across. Everything you see was graphically produced by me. A mother gave me newspaper articles from the press gazette, in Photoshop i put them on the lockers. The lockers you see are not even real. I made one, duplicated them then made minor changes to each locker. I created the tape used to put them on the lockers, the curl in the pages, made them look as if they were ripped from the newspaper, the rust on the lockers, the spray paint, you name it. Took me a little time but it was fun and it turned out very well. I'd like you guys to see it. Just give a little feedback if you like or not, or am I just getting too excited over this stuff. If so, sorry, I'm easily excited.

http://www.bigeyedeamedia.com/LockerPan.wmv

Thanks again
David Nelson - www.gbdvd.com
David Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #2
Trustee

Very realistic. I was not happy with red paint (blood?) on the locker. It looked like it was floating a bit instead of actually on the locker. All in all, a great job.
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

whooops you thought that was blood, it was supposed to be rust. I'll take a RE-Look at that one. Thanks!
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Major Player

David,

Very nice looking, but it went so fast it was disorienting. I second the notion that the red looked like blood. Certainly not like rust. It needs to be quite a bit deeper/darker and maybe a bit more towards orange.

Josh
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Nelson
whooops you thought that was blood, it was supposed to be rust. I'll take a RE-Look at that one. Thanks!
Take a look at the last shot. Rust wouldn't be covering the newspaper article whereas blood might have. The rust should have more brown tinge to it. You also need to think about rust formaton. If it is the result of water dripping from above and running down the lockers, it would need to be rust streaks. If it formed because the protective paint on the lockers was compromised from things banging into them, then it will be more random size and location.

And yes, slow the action down please, it is supposed to be a reflective moment by showing all those newspaper clippings of past headlines.

Pretty realistic looking though!

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'll try to remove repair the blood/rust. Slowing it down will be a task but I'll do it. THanks!
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #7
Inner Circle

David...

Sure looks real. Nice work! Was this done freehand or with the aid of 3D software? If it's freehand, you have a very, very good eye for reflections, highlights and shadows.

Some suggestions:

-- the newspaper clippings are very clean and straight. Newsprint taped to a wall would normally start to curl from the point of suspension. Also, you might want to give each one a slightly yellowish tinge. Doesn't take long for newsprint to start to discolor. Maybe a slightly rougher edge, indicating they were cut with a pair of scissors, or even torn out with the aid of a ruler.

-- Rust usually forms where paint has weak points: corners, edges. Maybe near the vents and seams of the locker.

-- For those anal enough to notice, all the padlocks are set to the same number on the combination dial.

-- Maybe add a few dents to a couple of the locker doors? Especially to the vents which are more vulnerable to damage.

Impressive artwork.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion