blood and gore F/X at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 12th, 2003, 11:16 AM   #1
Wrangler

blood and gore F/X

SHooting a little thing this weekend where one character recieves the beating of a lifetime. I need to simulate blood and facial lacerations, as well as spitting out teeth.
For the teeth, I'm going to use Chicklets gum, cut to size. For the blood, I'm open to ideas. ANd facial damadge, bruising and cuts, no idea. Has to be something that can be applied in minutes. Thoughts? Links to cheap F/X websites?
Thanks!
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #2
Wrangler

Partially answered my own question. Found a great fake blood website. Check it out here
Old February 12th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #3
New Boot

Cool SFX

I have just signed up with alamDV2 a sort of "community" SFX software.

Owners of the software send in SFX files they have created. Blood, gun shots, muzzle flashes, light sabers.

Basically, with the software you can incorporate SFX into your movie. I signed up yesterday, but keep getting a file error problem once I have downloaded the program. It won´t install with my XP system.

The site is: http://www.csb-digital.com/alamdv/

Once I get this downloaded and installed properly, I think it will be fun playing around with it.

Also interested in seeing what others think of this program.

Hope this helps.

Recent short work.

"How to get a Genuine College Degree in 5 days" download it FREE at http://www.ebookdata.com
Glen Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 01:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Caro Syrup (SuperMarket) and a mixture of red and blue food coloring mix nicely as blood. Very sticky though, but not harmful if you put it in you mouth.

Raw latex is nice to get the skin wrinkling under abuse. Pretty sick if you can get your hands on the schtuff at a theatrical makeu-up house. Also, doubles as an excellent ager.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 02:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

just wondering,
are the sfx for the upcoming wedding?
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 03:14 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dylan,

You've probably got the Karo syrup formula for blood. (Don't forget a dash of green). This is fine for use in the mouth, just dilute it a bit.

For clothing blood, we always used clear baby shampoo as a base. It washes out of most costumes.

Regards,

Bill - (Who has slain hundreds of people before millions.... don't ask)
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 05:53 PM   #7
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Bloom : just wondering,
are the sfx for the upcoming wedding? -->>>

LOL! Sadly no... :)

I've got the blood covered. I need something to look like knife cuts in skin.
Old February 12th, 2003, 06:17 PM   #8
Major Player

I have a distinct recollection of hearing an indie horror producer describe using chocolate milk, a dash of corn starch and red food coloring to make blood. Never tried it myself, but that is what he said.

I recall from a hundred years or so ago when I was a Boy Scout of using a thin sheet of latex glued to skin and the edges obscured by some sort of putty, to simulate cuts. The skin beneaththe latex was painted red and a cut in the latex represented a cut in the skin. We used the fake cuts for first aid practice and reused them for Halloween.

Rick
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 07:11 PM   #9
Major Player

Make the bood above and mix in some Quaker Oats...

Grotesque...
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #10
Contributor

Buy Bruce Campbell's book, "If Chins Could Kill." It's in paperback now. He gives the formula for Karo syrup blood.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 01:49 AM   #11
Regular Crew

And it's a great book! I just finished reading it a couple days ago.
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 05:12 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Plain old carpenters glue works good for torn skin effect and it sounds like you have the blood down
Old February 13th, 2003, 07:18 PM   #13
Wrangler

I spent most of today mixing glasses of corn syrup, chocolate, water, cherry jello powder, and red, blue, and yellow food dye. Who knew gore would be so tasty?

However, my kitchen now looks like a butcher shop. My bathroom looks like a slaugherhouse, as I was testing consistency by spitting blood all over the mirror (a shot from the upcoming short).

Now, my fiancee gets home in 15 minutes. If you don't hear from me ever again, it's because I couldn't get both rooms clean in time.
Old February 13th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #14
Major Player

Dylan,
For the skin and cuts.... I used some stuff that was called "Mortician's Wax" when teaching first aide classes. It went on fast, looked like pale skin, and could be cut. I use to get chicken bones and make compound fractures that would make some trainees almost bite-the-dust.

There was also some ready-made wound kits, I believe they were called "moulage" kits. They were made of latex but pretty expensive. You could get basic kits to real elaborate ones.

Sounds like you have all the blood receipts you could use. Hope that the "skin" info helps. Oh yes, as far as where to get the mortician's wax.... well, I would start with a threatrical costume shop. If all else fails, I'd then go to the Yellow Pages and look under mortician.

Good luck, Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion