DVX-100B or XL2... What do you think? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 1st, 2006, 11:24 AM   #46
Slash Rules!

Ah. Gotcha.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Went with the XL2

Well, I made this post a couple of months back, and I appreciate everyone's feedback. I went with the XL2, and don't regret it one bit...ITS AWESOME! My friend owns the DVX, and he loves all of my XL2's features. And I don't think the XL2 gets its fair share of credit, since it came out after the DVX.
Bryan Aycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #48
Major Player

Congrats

Bryan,

Congrats on your brand new baby. Essential accessories are the FU-1000 B&W viewfinder, 16x manual lens, a good tripod and a good quality wide angle converter. I recently got an Anton Bauer battery system for my rig and it's great. It balances the camera nicely. Other nice things are a matte box and a good Porta Brace bag. Be sure the tripod that can hold a fully tricked out XL2, which can be up around 20lbs.

Make sure that the camera is turned off when plugging and unplugging the viewfinders, changing lenses, pluggin or unpluging Firewire, the LANC control and mics w/phantom power. These can cause the camera to blow a fuse, unfortunately. Also, when changing batteries, be sure to wait for the camera to power down all the way, about 6 seconds, before taking off the batt. Otherwise you may get a timecode break. This is the case with many cameras, not just the XL2.

It's a pretty decent camera, make great images.
Old August 25th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #49
Major Player

*BUMP*

After reading this thread I was glad I found it. I had settled on the DVX100B and plan to buy it in the next couple weeks. My reason for not waiting an extra month for the XL2 is because I would then have about 1000 to pay off with 170 dollar payments instead of about 90 with the DVX. If I get the XL2 my main problem was not being able to get any accessories for it for months because of the purchase of my new laptop. I am going to use the camera for filmmaking, but my main concern which I have resolved was seeing "normal" DVX footage. I always saw altered stuff and it almost seemed like the DVX couldn't do just a normal daylight video look. I love the rez on the XL2 but the LCD makes it a problem, although for an extra 300 I could get a 7in LCD for the top. That again brings up the whole no money for any other accessories problem, batteries, things like that. I think I made the right choice and I hope the DVX100B is everything im hoping for. Sharp video and clean video is important to me but the XL2 just doesnt seem practical to buy right now. Maybe ill get lucky and Canon will issue an XL2 rebate....yea right lol.

-Kyle

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion