Is there a way to fix the darker image caused by zooming? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 31st, 2006, 11:13 AM   #1
New Boot

Is there a way to fix the darker image caused by zooming?

I have what is probably a very standard question, but I'm afraid I couldn't seem to find an answer seaching through the forums. Oh, and my apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum.

I know that by zooming in with a videocamera, the amount of light intake is reduced, and the image gets progressively darker. But is there any way around this?

I use a Panasonic AG-DVC30. My old camera was a consumer Handicam, and it seemed to deal with the problem automatically, so I would zoom in and the light level would look the same. Similarly, more professional videos use zooms all the time and it looks fine, so there must be a way around it. I can't imagine professional shoots have an "exposure puller" as well as a focus puller... But then, I really don't know.

However, not being able to zoom is driving me nuts.
Ed Glaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

does the DVC30 have an automatic gain setting? You might have it set to manual, so it stays the same while the aperture gets smaller (ie. bigger number). I imagine that's what handheld cameras do to keep the video looking like it's lit the same. Also, you might try setting your camera to aperture priority so that it automatically adjusts the shutter speed.
Raji Barbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:26 AM   #3
Wrangler

This should only be an issue when shooting in dark places where you need the maximum aperture. For example, let's say the largest aperture at full wide is f1.6 and at full telephoto it goes down to f2.8. If you set the iris at 1.6 and zoom in then you'll get the problem you described - things will get darker (assuming you're in full manual mode).

On the other hand, if you set the iris to f2.8 at the wide end of the zoom, then there won't be any change as you zoom in. But if you're working in a dark place then this might not work for you so you could try one of Raji's suggestions.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:03 PM   #4
New Boot

You're right -- I think the problem occurs in low-light environments. Unfortunately, I'm doing a great deal of shooting in low-light.

I'll have to check on the automatic gain. From what I gather, changing the shutter speed isn't the greatest idea. Especially since I ultimately want to run the footage through Magic Bullet. So I've been keeping it at 1/60.
Ed Glaser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion