question on video outputs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 4th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #1
Major Player

question on video outputs

i am thinking of running a wireless video transmitter directly from the camera to show the video live in another room. So far so good everything works but now i realize i need the video out on the camera to drive the LCD.

I do have a video out as well as s-video out which are both active at the same time but i neither my lcd nor the video transmitter accept s-video

what would be my best low cost option to do this. The quality on the transmitter signal is not that important as it is simply for life viewing purposes.

recording is done on tape as well as a firestore

thanks for any tips
Old June 4th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Salzlechner
i am thinking of running a wireless video transmitter directly from the camera to show the video live in another room. So far so good everything works but now i realize i need the video out on the camera to drive the LCD.

I do have a video out as well as s-video out which are both active at the same time but i neither my lcd nor the video transmitter accept s-video

what would be my best low cost option to do this. The quality on the transmitter signal is not that important as it is simply for life viewing purposes.

recording is done on tape as well as a firestore

thanks for any tips
S-video to composite adapters are available at Radio Shck for a couple of bucks - my firsst step would be to try one of those on the line to the LCD.
Old June 4th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Major Player

STeve

thanks. I wasnt sure if there is a simple converter. Guess i will stop by at radio shack today

Mike
Old June 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #4
Major Player

one more question

i think this one is even easier but i wanted to make sure. If i have a BNC connection this can be convrted to composite with a simple adapter as well correct ?

the reason is because i may need to run a longer cable and then it would be better to use BNC i guess.

thanks again
Old June 4th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Salzlechner
one more question

i think this one is even easier but i wanted to make sure. If i have a BNC connection this can be convrted to composite with a simple adapter as well correct ?

the reason is because i may need to run a longer cable and then it would be better to use BNC i guess.

thanks again
BNC *is* composite. BNC is just a type of connector used in similar applications to the RCA phone plugs. Both are commonly used for 75ohm video cable and the signal on the cable is the same regardless of which connector is on it. The BNC is just a more reliable and rugged locking connector than is the RCA and that's why it is the choice for professional equipment. But there's no difference in signal quality and it doesn't matter which you use from that standpoint. Thus there's no reason a longer cable will work better with a BNC than it does with an RCA, it just that it won't wear out as quickly with repeated connecting and disconnecting or be as subject to accidently disconnection if someone gives the cable a tug..

S-video and composite video OTOH are different - s-video separates the composite video signal into separate chroma and luma channels and sends each of them down its own conductor inside the cable.
Old June 4th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Steve

thanks for the explanation.
Old June 4th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #7
Major Player

just as an update

i went to RS and they had no clue at all. I could not found a converter from S-Video to composite only the other way around

But i was also looking for a video switch to switch between 2 sources

i came across this switch with 4 inputs and two simultaneus outputs. It said it would convert from video to S-video but didnt say anything the other way around.

I tried my luck and sure enough it converts both ways.

Now i seem to be all set. Just finished a special mount to get rid of the tripod and mount the head on top of a platform that will be clamped to the rink wall

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion