video storage: NAS or external USB? FAT32 vs. NTFS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 14th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

video storage: NAS or external USB? FAT32 vs. NTFS

Hi, I'm trying to create a backup storage device. Occasionally I will share larger files on it, although the main files for editing will be on the main drive.

I was looking into network attached storage solutions (both wireless and wired). I have a desktop I use for video editing and another laptop for dual booting and programming. I already possess one USB hard drive, a Lacie, and it has served me well.

Here are my options:
1)Buy a network attached storage solution, probably Buffalo Linkstation 300 gig. This is ethernet, not wireless. It contains Dual USB 2.0 ports for attaching additional storage. $250-300
2)Buy another USB hard drive, formatted as NTFS for my desktop (and using the current one for my laptop). I could probably get one for $150-160.

That's $100 cost saving, money I could easily spend elsewhere. Can anyone think of a reason why the NAS option would be worth the extra money?

Here's what I have come up with:
1)consolidated storage space for both my machines makes it easier to keep track of my backups. (Remember I could add the usb to my NAS), so we're talking about 500 gig total).
2)extensibility (although I could easily add these two hard drives to whatever NAS solution I go for later).
3)hideability. I can hide it somewhere (so I were robbed, they probably would overlook the drive (although if it's connected via ethernet, I may not be able to hide it that well.
4)better ability to share files between both machines. (I don't use a lot of files on both machines, but occasionally I do (also it would be nice to be able to view vids/listen to mp3s from the same drive. (although I could create a share).
5)NAS sometimes come with bundled tools.

What solutions have people here gone with?
Robert Nagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #2
Major Player

i dont know about the NAS you are mentioning but i use NAS drives a lot. First the devices i use are raid capable so i am running raid 5. If one drive dies nothing bad happened, Data is still there

second the NAS drive also acts as a backup server. it has backup software built in and can be programmed to back up folders from any machine from the network as well as your web site.

You can also set the NAS as an FTP server so you can ftp files to it via the internet

The NAS drive doesnt need your PC to be up and running to be accessible by other PC's

The NAS will alert me via email if anything is wrong (drive died, drives too hot, folders to backup not accessible, power failure, ...)

the NAS drives i am using are the Infrant ReadyNAS with 1TB in a 750GB Raid 5 config and the Buffalo Terrastation 1TB also in 750GB raid 5

These run more of course about 700 for the buffalo and about 1200 for the infrant

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion