DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   need DV time shifting howto (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/69889-need-dv-time-shifting-howto.html)

Ingo Schmidt June 20th, 2006 05:31 AM

need DV time shifting howto

Hello Folks,

perhaps you can help me on the following task.

I have:
Panasonic NV-GS150
Some Samsung Laptop with ~2 GB free HD.
Linux and Windows - on both OS Firewire capture works. I can capture and playback, live or from generated files.

I want to time shift the live capture some 60 seconds without stop and playback all the time. It is intended for training. People have to perform an action and then may look at themselfs and perform same action (hopefully better) again.

I thought about looping over two or three different files (like logrotate) but there should be an easy way for my task. As i am quite new to this i guess i just don't see how.

Thanks in advance,
Ingo

Ron Evans June 20th, 2006 07:41 AM

The easiest way to do this is with a Panasonic DVD recorder with Hard drive or DVD-RAM. The DMR-ES15 will do the trick for you. Plug your iLink cable( or analogue input) into the DVD recorder, start the recorder on a 2 hour encode, when it has gone the 60 sec, use the "time slip" feature to go back 60 secs and it will carry on playing/recording until you stop.
Ron Evans

John Miller June 20th, 2006 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo Schmidt
Hello Folks,

perhaps you can help me on the following task.

I have:
Panasonic NV-GS150
Some Samsung Laptop with ~2 GB free HD.
Linux and Windows - on both OS Firewire capture works. I can capture and playback, live or from generated files.

I want to time shift the live capture some 60 seconds without stop and playback all the time. It is intended for training. People have to perform an action and then may look at themselfs and perform same action (hopefully better) again.

I thought about looping over two or three different files (like logrotate) but there should be an easy way for my task. As i am quite new to this i guess i just don't see how.

Thanks in advance,
Ingo

I have just tried writing something to do this and it works well (took about 30 mins to modify an existing program).

Do you have a second DV device? If so, I can provide a program that will simply stream the DV from your Panasonic, via your computer, to the second DV device. For the first 60 seconds, the stream will be live, after that it will be delayed 60 seconds.

If you don't have a second DV device, how are you planning to display the delayed video (on the computer?)

It uses RAM for buffering - you need at least approx. 200MB to hold the 60 seconds of video. 512MB total RAM minimum should be OK.

Thanks,

John.

Ingo Schmidt June 21st, 2006 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John F Miller
Do you have a second DV device? If so, I can provide a program that will simply stream the DV from your Panasonic, via your computer, to the second DV device. For the first 60 seconds, the stream will be live, after that it will be delayed 60 seconds.

nope. Only Cam and Laptop

Quote:

Originally Posted by John F Miller
If you don't have a second DV device, how are you planning to display the delayed video (on the computer?)

It uses RAM for buffering - you need at least approx. 200MB to hold the 60 seconds of video. 512MB total RAM minimum should be OK.

Yes. First step will be on the Laptop LCD. I thought about connecting a beamer later, but once i have a working (delayed) output on the LCD everything else i can handle.

Instead of writing to another DV device displaying it should be no problem for your program (?). On hardware side i got 1gb memory. That should do it. I would like to try it. What OS do i need?

====

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans
The easiest way to do this is with a Panasonic DVD recorder with Hard drive or DVD-RAM [...]
Ron Evans

ty for the reply, but i have to stick to existing hardware. I want to use it (only) for a few sessions technical training with my team and will try to avoid any extra investment if possible.

Ingo

edit: added reply to Ron

John Miller June 21st, 2006 06:51 AM

Hello,

I can easily add the option to display on the screen. Windows XP SP1 required. Will the delay always be the same - i.e., one minute?

John.

Ingo Schmidt June 21st, 2006 07:41 AM

any hard coded time (60s) will do. An option to adjust in a range of 10-60s (120 critical on memory i guess) would be great ofc.