DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Frame mode : Jerky when slowing down in post-prod (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/7051-frame-mode-jerky-when-slowing-down-post-prod.html)

Dany Nativel February 19th, 2003 12:21 PM

Frame mode : Jerky when slowing down in post-prod

Most of the time I use the Frame mode of my GL2 to shoot and understand the limitation regarding fast pans and other quick camera movements.

Recently, I've imported some footage in Vegas 3. No problem at normal speed. But if I use the velocity curve or change the speed of the clip the result is not good at all (see very jerky). I set the "resample" option for this clip (important when slowing down) but it doesn't help.

If I do the same thing with footage shot in Normal mode... I can slow down or speed up without any problem.

Can somebody explain me why I get this weird result and if it only comes from Vegas ?

Thank you
Dany

Don Donatello February 19th, 2003 02:30 PM

basically .. if you pan from point A to B in 1 sec frame mode will break/record that distance into 30 pieces of movement ... normal mode will break/record that same distance into 60 pieces of movement ...

having 60 pieces of info ( motion) is much smoother then only having 30 pieces of info ( motion) ...

when you attempt slo motion .. your editor only has 30 pieces of movement to work with VS. 60 pieces of movement using normal mode .. the more pieces of info ( motion/movement) the smoother the results ...

also IMO do not use above 1/60 shutter in frame mode if you want smooth pan/motion .. only use above 1/60 if you like the "jerky " effect ..which can be a excellent effect ...

Dany Nativel February 19th, 2003 03:57 PM

I like the Frame mode look but also love to slow down action when necessary (wedding is a good example).

What can I do to keep the frame mode while being able to slow everything down ?

Any software or artifacts ?

Thanx
Dany

Ken Tanaka February 19th, 2003 04:11 PM

There are several products that can assist in time-adjustments. "Twixtor" from Re:Vision Effects is a good example. It plugs into Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Commotion and Combustion and really does a good job with some practice.

Dany Nativel February 19th, 2003 04:19 PM

Thank you.

Any solution/plugins for Vegas 3.0 (or 4.0) ?

The velocity curve is so convenient ;)

Ken Tanaka February 19th, 2003 04:22 PM

I'm unfamiliar with Vegas Video, but if it can take After Effects-compliant plug-ins, the chances are that Twixtor will work with it just fine with it.

Brian M. Dickman February 19th, 2003 07:06 PM

Unfortunately no, Vegas can not work with Premier plug-ins. One of the plugin developers is looking into a converter/adaptor plugin, but at this point, there is no way to use plugins for anything other than Vegas in Vegas.

I'd suggest you go ask this question over on the Sonic Foundry forums. If I've got some time, I'll try it out as well (I've got a GL2 and Vegas 4).

Don Donatello February 19th, 2003 09:49 PM

i shoot 90% frame mode at 1/60th shutter .... slo mo looks very good .. only on a swish pan do i get a jerky pan in slo-mo ...

check your tape to see what shutter speed you shot the clip.

i also use Vegas .. it has a very good slo-mo