Online Distribution For Short Films at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 7th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Online Distribution For Short Films

Hi, I'm just finishing up a short film (35min) and was wondering what kind of options there are out there for distributing it (paid and/or free)?

Has anyone had any experience with actually getting paid (no matter how small) for putting your short on one of those already established websites?

Could we compile a list of the web sites out there right now that accept short films (with potential to be paid or not)?

Starting with:
ifilm.com
atomfilms.com

What exactly is the protocol for submitting to production companies? Is this like screenplays, in that, you need to sign a release form and make sure they accept unsolicited material?

Thanks.
Jeff Cottrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

"What exactly is the protocol for submitting to production companies?"

why are you submitting to a Production Company??
they don't distribute films ... you might try Distributors ? some of the big cable channels play shorts to fill in small gaps -many view/find shorts at festivals.
some distributors you can call em and they'll tell you if they are interested in your type short ...
in general there's no $$$ in shorts - they are usually a calling card to get paying work ... there are many short film festivals all over the world ...

i know several persons that have made shorts and are now Directing commercials ( 2500 -5000K day) ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply, Don. Btw, to clarify, I'm planning on submitting the short to tons of festivals and such. But also to production companies, or whoever else in the world will look at it, as a calling card. The goal being to find the money and crew to expand it into an Indie feature.

I also figure if there's any established distribution outlet out there for shorts, I'd love to submit to it and collect a few pennies, if someone will give them to me. It'd be five cents more than I have now.

I guess I'm wondering what other short filmmakers are with their work besides festivals? Any tips, hints, ideas....?
Jeff Cottrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

For everything about film festival submissions try www.withoutabox.com

You can research festivals and find the ones for your genre they also offer a reduce for festival submissions if you use their website.
Stephen Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion