satelite video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 19th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #1
Major Player

satelite video

I know this is possible, news stations do it daily, What is the blueprint and what would the field producer need with him. Concerning beeming live video back to the receiving production room. Lets say a one man video guy goes into the mountains running a HVRZ1u and has to travel light. His main concern is sending live video from the mountains via a portable satelite with audio. What hardware would he need to accomplish this. The receiving room would then broadcast it live or with a small delay. What kind of satelite and hardware would the camera guy need in the mountains, what are the choices. Thanks.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Pick up an issue of DV Magazine, and there is a company selling satelite transmission setups with a laptop. It will allow you to capture and broadcast live video over the internet. Is that sort of what you want?
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Pick up an issue of DV Magazine, and there is a company selling satelite transmission setups with a laptop. It will allow you to capture and broadcast live video over the internet. Is that sort of what you want?
Keith, I believe he wants to send back video via satellite they way news stations do it.

These days, a lot of remote video coming from freelancers is encoded to MPEG2 at 6 to 8 mbs bandwidth and fed to satellite or if internet is available, via FTP. CNN and TWC take these kinds of feeds.

At Sony's NAB press conference, they demonstrated a live HD feed over a 2.5mbs internet connection being projected on the main presentation screen. It looked awesome! Of course, that requires RT hardware encoding.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Keith, I believe he wants to send back video via satellite they way news stations do it.

-gb-
The setup I was reffering to, I believe runs around $11,000. How much for the setup the stations use? That is microwave, right?
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #5
Major Player

great stuff, could you give away some links to a setup like this. I need to forward some info on prices and setups to the man in charge here. Thanks allot.
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #6
Capt. Quirk

Man... Now I have to get up and dig out an old issue... ;) Gee, I had to really dig back a few years, but here's a place to look- www.dvlaptop.com .
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #7
Major Player

I know it was a chore digging up the info but sure do appreciate it. Any other info would also be appreciated at any time, no rush. Thanks.
Old July 19th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #8
Capt. Quirk

You know what I know... which doesn't seem like much, does it? Sorry, but at least it's free ;)
Old July 19th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #9
Major Player

You the man, Thanks again
Old July 19th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #10
Wrangler

John, I had to remove the other thread you started on this same topic. Please don't cross-post, it's against DVinfo policy. If you want your thread moved to another forum just ask and a moderator will be glad to help. Thanks.

http://www.dvinfo.net/network/policy.php

Quote:
Cross-posts. Pick the ONE most appropriate forum for your thread and post it there. All other copies will be removed. If you're not sure where your post belongs, put it in the Open DV Discussion forum, and we'll move it appropriately, leaving behind a re-directing link.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #11
Capt. Quirk

Is that what cross posting is? I thought it involved wearing high heels... doh!

Sorry Boyd, my medication is still being adjusted ;)
Old July 19th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #12
Major Player

Sorry about the cross thread, Boyd what Forum do you think this thread should be under, I could'nt relate this 'live video feed' idea to one in particular. Again sorry about that, just trying to gain some knowledge. Won't happen again.
Old July 19th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #13
Capt. Quirk

If they have a problem with where it's at, they'll move it, and let you know. These guys are always hard at work.
Old July 19th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. McCloskey
Sorry about the cross thread, Boyd what Forum do you think this thread should be under, I could'nt relate this 'live video feed' idea to one in particular. Again sorry about that, just trying to gain some knowledge. Won't happen again.
The 'Tools of DV Production' would probably be the best location for an inquiry such as this.

As Boyd said, it's better to have one thread in the wrong forum which we can move, than to have crossposts in several forums.

Why are we opposed to crossposting, you ask?

Because we want folks to be able to search and find information more effectively. That means having all the responses to a given inquiry like yours in one place. It also keeps respondents from feeling like they have to answer the same post in multiple locations.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #15
Major Player

If anyone has any suggestions concerning a hardware and software live, wireless, video package the info would be greatly appreciated. I need to know what is available for the Field guy(transmitting rig). The field guy would be running a Z1 with audio. He would need to transmit video and audio wireless. Sorry I accidentally changed the topic of this thread into a cross threading issue, just trying to get it back to the beginning topic. Thanks
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion