Ntsc To Pal at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 28th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #1
New Boot

Ntsc To Pal

Hi There

My first post on DVi and I am hoping somebody out there might be able help me!

I, until recently, had an NTSC camera, but it died! Problem is that I have tapes that I need to get the footage off. My other camera is a Pal Sony PD150. On this cam I can play the NTSC tapes and they play fine on the view finder but come out as garbage if I capture them onto the computer.

My question is.............If my PD150 plays them through the view finder, does that mean there is some way I can capture the footage from the NTSC tapes using this camera.

Just to add, no, I haven't been able to find someone with an NTSC camera that I am able to use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Andy
Andy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #2
Wrangler

I think you will need to rent or borrow an NTSC camera for this because others have observed the same thing - the NTSC PD-150 will display PAL footage (and vice-versa) but not send it over firewire or analog. However, then there's this interesting discovery about the little PDX-10:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=71630

But that doesn't really help you with the PD-150 unfortunately. The HVR-Z1 is the only camera I know of which can use both formats. Perhaps you can rent/borrow one of them?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #3
Trustee

The trusty old DSR-11 is pretty common and it can be switched between PAL and NTSC, should solve your problem and I think you'll start to find a few going cheap as everyone switches to the new Sony HDV decks.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion