Panasonic's HD not working well in low-light the truth? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:29 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant
Sounds to me like the sleeper issue with noise. It doesn't look too bad with DVCPro HD as there's no interframe compression however when it hits DVB for broadcast things can become very different. What some might wrongly call 'film grain' starts to get another look altogether.
Watching some programs down here over DVB even scenes shot in full daylight have very noticeble noise in areas where the light falls off into black. Whether or not this footage is from a Panny camera or not I can't really say but it certainly had that Panny look.
However this is something that should be tested first. I know for the latest Superman shoot what happens in the areas of light fall off was something carefully tested. Fortunately the Genesis was found to be OK so light was left to fall off into black. Obviously the DOP had experience with other digital camera where this wasn't the case.
Wouldn't the effect be exaggerated by watching on a LCD or Plasma and the bandwith used for DVB transmission?
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I agree about the noise possibility. I would imagine they would not use a HVX200, which could have caused problems. Even if it is just noise, they could process most of that out in high quality by using time based noise removal. But maybe it really has to do with shadow details. Maybe, whatever it was, was not noticeable in the view monitor from the high bit depth direct (uncompressed) feed.

I noticed that BBC programs (the ones we get here) tend to have a tonality style that has tones/features in the shadows. They have a document on digital/hd production for styling I believe (found it ages ago but did not read it). But, with the Varicam footage I have noticed that shadows are rather dark, trying to film gloomy with this would not be so good. Even if they lit the scene and then under exposed in post, you might need 10-12+bits bit depth to move the exposure around in post to dark from light. I've seen 8 bit scenes from the Drake camera done in a gloomy style, then again it has excellent range and sensitivity in comparison to many digital cameras.

Why wasn't it tested for these problems, I don't know, but I can bring this to the table. I saw a DVD doco feature on the production of one BBC comedy series. They write/rehearse/setup, do the filming for the series in one or two weeks, then go to post for another week. Could such a streamlined like production style, cause the above types of hidden problems to go unnoticed to the last?
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #18
Trustee

http://torchwoodtv.blogspot.com/2006...-question.html
^more updates.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion