DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Printing DVD's with inkjet (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/72817-printing-dvds-inkjet.html)

David Bird August 2nd, 2006 10:17 AM

Printing DVD's with inkjet

I just produced a 3.5 minutes "tribute" to 3 friends who have recently passed away. All were members of our local Jaycee organization that produces a PRCA rodeo every year. The video is going to be shown on a video scoreboard prior to each evening's performance.

My problem stems from the fact that word's out that I've done this and I'm starting to get calls from a number of people, requesting a copy.

I really don't want to give folks a DVD with a "sharpie" label.....and I hate those paper, press-on things.

I'm considering the purchase of an Epson 200 series inkjet printer specifically to print these DVD copies. Anybody have any experience with this type of labeling .... cheap inkjet printing on printable (white) media?

Assistance would be appreciated...Oops, almost forgot...I anticipate around 50 copies...100 max.

David Bird

K. Forman August 2nd, 2006 10:22 AM

The quality is pretty nice, however, it is also very susceptible to smearing when wet. After printing the disks, let them dry thoroughly, and give them a light coat of clear spray paint. This should keep them looking good for a while.

Jimmy McKenzie August 2nd, 2006 10:34 AM

This little Epson device is perfect. Spend a bit extra on the media: I've had good luck with Taiyo-Yuden dvd-r.

Budget some time to print ... could be a nice project for your apprentice.

Also, the layout software that is bundled is horrible. Make a Photoshop drawing at 5x5 inches, 300 dpi. Then, export as tif including the text. This will be added in the layout program as a background image. The only thing you will add in the horrible-ware is the dvd video logo. Oh and the auto arch is ok ...

Steven Davis August 2nd, 2006 10:50 AM

David, we use the Epson 200 for printing and it does well, just do as suggested with the 300dpi and you'll be fine.

The ink is a little high, but look around you can find a good deal at the warehouse stores such as SAMS CLUB if you have that in your area. I saw a new 200 series Epson at Sams the other day, they may have a new one out now.

David Bird August 2nd, 2006 10:55 AM

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm heading to Sam's Club this afternoon.

Jimmy....apprentice? What? Are you making application....low wages and no benefits. The owner (me) generates a goodly amount of gross but very little net. Interested? :)

db

K. Forman August 2nd, 2006 10:57 AM

Throw in free time in Biloxi and I'll consider it :)

David Bird August 2nd, 2006 10:59 AM

Ah....isn't Biloxi GONE?
db

David Bird August 2nd, 2006 11:07 AM

One other question....can a DVD be printed AFTER it's been burned?
db

K. Forman August 2nd, 2006 11:09 AM

It wasn't my turn to watch Biloxi. If it's lost, it ain't my fault!

And yes, you can burn then print, or vice-versa.

Stephen Claus August 2nd, 2006 07:26 PM

I also use the Epson 200 DVD printer, and yes the software sucks, but I make it work.

The manual recommends that you burn before you print.

I leave my printed discs out overnight to dry before packaging them.

Charlie Vankirk August 2nd, 2006 08:41 PM

David,

I used to own a CD/DVD duplication business a few years ago. I needed good quality equipment that produced an excellent and dependable product while keeping the prices down for short-run orders.

I used Primera Technologies CD/DVD printers.

http://www.primera.com/index.html

I used Ink-Jet printers for CD's that had pictures and/or alot of colors.
Of course one of the major drawbacks to ink-jet is that they are not waterproof. But I never knew anyone to handle a CD with wet hands! So that was never really a concern to me or my clients. They worked wonderfully!
Another drawback to ink-jet is that you need a CD with a special ink-jet printable surface.
Overall the ink-jet application on CD's are nice and effective. The ink will go very fast if you print the entire surface of the CD and use many colors. Other than that, it is a great way to apply artwork to CD's

There are also "Thermal Ink" printers that do not have full color and are mainly used for applying text onto CD's. For that purpose they are the next best thing to Offset & Silkscreening. They are waterproof.
You do not need a special surface to print on!
I believe they do come in color but are very expensive.

Since I had many orders to complete daily, I had an automated burning & printing station. The printer had a 100 CD capacity and would automatically pick up the CD with a robotic arm and print until the desired amount was done. It was nice!

If you are just printing a very small number of CD's I would suggest that you get a manually fed printer. It will take more of your time but is much cheaper

Check out these "Thermal Ink" models:

http://www.primera.com/signaturez1.html

or

http://www.primera.com/inscripta_cd_printer.html

Check out this Ink-Jet Model:

http://www.primera.com/signaturez6.html

These are a bit pricey but I would only go with the best and most dependable options when putting out my CD or DVD.

The model I used a few years ago was the Primera Signature III.
The Signature series are really good machines and I would suggest that you look on ebay, craigslist, etc... to find a used one. That will save you some big bucks!!

Oh...CD's & DVD CAN be printed after they are burned!
One vaulable thing I learned while operating my duplication biz was to print my CD's & DVD's before I burned them! That way, if the printing on the CD did not come out correctly I would still have a blank CD or DVD for my personal use! If you already burned it and the print comes out wrong the you just wasted money!!

I hope all this helps you with your desicion.

Good Luck and keep us updated with your search!

Charlie

Matthew Nayman August 3rd, 2006 09:17 AM

Best way to use the Epson software for printing is to design your disc in Photoshop, export as a square JPG, import the JPG into Epson's folder, and then import your design as a background (Stretch it to fit)

works good!

Marc Ries August 3rd, 2006 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Bird
One other question....can a DVD be printed AFTER it's been burned?
db

Yes. It's usually better that way since you won't waste ink if the burn fails and you won't spin ink off inside your burner if it's still wet.

I prefer the "white" topped inkjet compatible media rather than the "silver" topped media -- the white will produce better photo-grade output.

I would also suggest using a printer, like an Epson Sylus Photo R800, that uses pigmented ink that's not going to smear or run if exposed to liquid or sweat.

Or if black/white is OK, then buy a lightscribe-enabled burner and use lightscribe media to "print" the "label".

Denis Danatzko August 4th, 2006 07:14 AM

FWIW, I can't attest to the model mentioned, but

I use the Epson Stylus Photo R300. It suits me well, but I've never made more than a handful of copies. Crisp photos, but IMO ink is very expensive.

It seems the multiple orders crept up on you unexpectedly. Consider using text-only titles rather than photos. (I can hear the boo's and hisses already), but time and ink saved could be worth it. Whatever you use, be sure to allow LOTS of time for ink to dry. Also consider a blow-dryer to help that along.

May all your copies be error-free.

Christopher Lefchik August 4th, 2006 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
Best way to use the Epson software for printing is to design your disc in Photoshop, export as a square JPG, import the JPG into Epson's folder, and then import your design as a background (Stretch it to fit)

Or you could use this Photoshop template and print directly onto the DVDs from within Photoshop.