Sony GV-D1000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 2nd, 2003, 11:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony GV-D1000

Can anyone tell me the type firewire connection needed for this? Is ity a 4 or 6? I know that the canon xl1s has a 4 pin connector just not sure of the Sony, I may have a chance to try one out in the near future. Anyone else hav one these little babies?
Old March 3rd, 2003, 09:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Amazingly, all the photos I found show the port with its little door closed.

However, the specs at Crutchfield say 4-pin.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 09:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Will. I tried to get the information off the Sony site - thinking I could download the manual there, however the 1000 wasn't offered. I think I read somewhere that a 4 pin is used in devices having their own power source (6 pin using power much the same as a USB port). Anyway mystery solved. Thanks.
Don Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 01:02 PM   #4
Major Player

I believe that ALL of Sony's products that have iLink (1394b, Firewire) use the 4 pin configuration. It is a major reason I have never bought a Sony computer (that, and I don't use windows much) because I believe if you include something like firewire in a computer it should have all the advantages of FIREWIRE such as bus power for accessories. I also feel like the 6 pin is a sturdier connection but I don't even know of a camera that uses it.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 02:45 PM   #5
Major Player

Well, not quite, Rhett. The Sony Vaio Digital Studio models come with a 4-pin connector on the front but usually have a 6-pin connector on the rear. My wife's older Vaio has this configuration and Sony's newest models, like the PCV-RZ22, are the same.

The trend in consumer camcorders is "smaller is better." The disadvantage of the 6-pin connector is that it is quite large in comparison to the 4-pin. Because of this, I think it highly doubtful that we will ever see 6-pin connectors on camcorders.

Bus power isn't really an issue with camcorders because, obviously, they are all powered.

I sure agree with you about the sturdiness of the 4-pin. I never get the feeling that there is a firm connection. I've not had a problem, but it's always reassuring to know that a connector has connected. Even dinky mini-stero plugs give definite, tactile feedback, but then again they, too, are bigger than the 1394 4-pin.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 04:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've got two Fujitsu laptops one an S series the other a P. Both have a firewire port. Just checked the books on both to see which pin there were - was not mentioned. Looks to be a 6 pin connection. Just to play it safe all the way around I've ordered two 6' firewires one 4x4 the other 4x6. I'll be in AZ soon to try everthing out.
Don Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 05:11 PM   #7
Major Player

Here's a link to a Canopus product with some photos: http://www.canopus.com/us/products/ADVC-100/pa_ADVC-100.asp#advc03.

On the front panel photo, the 4-pin jack can be seen on the far right. On the rear panel photo, the 6-pin jack can be seen on the far left.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion