DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Mac green screen software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/73577-mac-green-screen-software.html)

John M. McCloskey August 14th, 2006 10:00 AM

Mac green screen software

Since Serious Magic Ultra doesnt work with Mac OS, what would be the best green screen software to use in conjunction with a Avid adrenaline running Mac OS 10.4.7. We have used ZMatte but is there any other software that may be better. Thanks

Christo Aaron August 14th, 2006 01:31 PM

Combustion 4 may work on Mac

Quote:

Originally Posted by John M. McCloskey
Since Serious Magic Ultra doesnt work with Mac OS, what would be the best green screen software to use in conjunction with a Avid adrenaline running Mac OS 10.4.7. We have used ZMatte but is there any other software that may be better. Thanks

Hello John,
I'm using Combustion 3 on Win OS, but I believe somebody told me you can run it on Mac by installing the "Bootcamp" Apple software. All your Win programs then can be run on Mac. Good Luck!
Cheers,
Christo

Glenn Chan August 14th, 2006 01:50 PM

Shake should come bundled with Primatte, which is a pretty good keyer.

Gabriel Yeager August 14th, 2006 02:41 PM

I use IMovie HD. All you have to do is search on google for, "IMovie green screen plugin" and it should come up. I think you'll have to pay for it tho. Unless you want to use a blue screen. I have a blue screen plugin' that I got for free from the web.

I hope I helped!
~Gabriel~

Nate Schmidt August 14th, 2006 04:57 PM

If you have motion it comes with primatte keyer as well or you can buy dv matte blast which runs in real time (depending on computer of course ;-) or for a little more dv matte pro, both or these are plugins blast is for motion and pro if for FCP and possible After Effects. As was mentioned before if you have an intel mac you can use boot camp to install XP and then run Ultra from there.

Dave Perry August 14th, 2006 05:10 PM

Don't forget, FCP has a built in chroma keyer. I think maybe you are looking for a virtual set builder like Ultra? Not sure what there is to compare to it. Maybe Maya?

Chris Hocking August 15th, 2006 08:09 AM

Dave, the original post mentioned using Avid, therefore I guess that cuts Final Cut Pro out. But if you do have Final Cut Studio John, both Motion and Final Cut Pro will give you great results if you spend a bit of time "tweaking".

I would suggest either After Effects or Shake; both will give you fantastic results. Of course, garbage in - garbage out! Although I'm relatively new to it, I prefer Shake over After Effects for keying. But I guess it comes down to personal preference as their both very powerful tools. Both packages have several different plug-ins/tools that can pull keys. You can also purchase 3rd Party Plug-ins for After Effects should you feel the need.

I wouldn't bother trying to run a Windows-based program via bootcamp. It'll just waste time. In the end it will be cheaper just to purchase either Shake or After Effects.