Mac green screen software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 14th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Mac green screen software

Since Serious Magic Ultra doesnt work with Mac OS, what would be the best green screen software to use in conjunction with a Avid adrenaline running Mac OS 10.4.7. We have used ZMatte but is there any other software that may be better. Thanks
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Combustion 4 may work on Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. McCloskey
Since Serious Magic Ultra doesnt work with Mac OS, what would be the best green screen software to use in conjunction with a Avid adrenaline running Mac OS 10.4.7. We have used ZMatte but is there any other software that may be better. Thanks
Hello John,
I'm using Combustion 3 on Win OS, but I believe somebody told me you can run it on Mac by installing the "Bootcamp" Apple software. All your Win programs then can be run on Mac. Good Luck!
Cheers,
Christo
Christo Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Shake should come bundled with Primatte, which is a pretty good keyer.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #4
Major Player

I use IMovie HD. All you have to do is search on google for, "IMovie green screen plugin" and it should come up. I think you'll have to pay for it tho. Unless you want to use a blue screen. I have a blue screen plugin' that I got for free from the web.

I hope I helped!
~Gabriel~
Gabriel Yeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #5
Major Player

If you have motion it comes with primatte keyer as well or you can buy dv matte blast which runs in real time (depending on computer of course ;-) or for a little more dv matte pro, both or these are plugins blast is for motion and pro if for FCP and possible After Effects. As was mentioned before if you have an intel mac you can use boot camp to install XP and then run Ultra from there.
Old August 14th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #6
Major Player

Don't forget, FCP has a built in chroma keyer. I think maybe you are looking for a virtual set builder like Ultra? Not sure what there is to compare to it. Maybe Maya?
Old August 15th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #7
Major Player

Dave, the original post mentioned using Avid, therefore I guess that cuts Final Cut Pro out. But if you do have Final Cut Studio John, both Motion and Final Cut Pro will give you great results if you spend a bit of time "tweaking".

I would suggest either After Effects or Shake; both will give you fantastic results. Of course, garbage in - garbage out! Although I'm relatively new to it, I prefer Shake over After Effects for keying. But I guess it comes down to personal preference as their both very powerful tools. Both packages have several different plug-ins/tools that can pull keys. You can also purchase 3rd Party Plug-ins for After Effects should you feel the need.

I wouldn't bother trying to run a Windows-based program via bootcamp. It'll just waste time. In the end it will be cheaper just to purchase either Shake or After Effects.
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion