Teleprompters-how to work them- where to get them. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 14th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Teleprompters-how to work them- where to get them.

I am shooting a video for internet that is speaking about a surgical procedure. The doctor wants to speak about it from a script and I was wondring if I can use a teleprompter for it.

I have never used one so I have absolutely no idea how they work, whether I can rent one and etc...
I would really apprecitate it if you guide me pls.
Dan Farzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Wrangler

Dan,

Teleprompters can be fairly inexpensive but are usually a few grand or more. Basically, a teleprompter is a display laying horizontally under the camera lens. A 45 degree angled one way mirror sits in front of the camera lens and projects the display for the talent to read while looking straight into the camera lens. The hardware portion isn't that expensive. It's the prompter software that will set you back a few clams. Because of the construction and orientation of the mirror, the camera sees through it so all you see is the talent.

The talent usually has a foot pedal that allows them to control the scrolling speed of the text in order to read at a comfortable pace.

Just Google for teleprompters and you'll get all the information you need.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

ok
in that case I will go with the good old technique of pritning the stuff extra big and put the pages infront of the talent one by one
:)

unless i have another option!!
Dan Farzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Farzad
ok
in that case I will go with the good old technique of pritning the stuff extra big and put the pages infront of the talent one by one
:)

unless i have another option!!
That will work, but you'll be able to see that your talent is not looking directly at the camera if they have to literally read the script. You might be able to rent the equipment from a local facility.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #5
Major Player

You are probably best off renting a teleprompter. Unless you are going to be shooting a lot of stuff with it, renting is the way to go. There are also people who who rent them and come with the equipment to operate it. This can be worth the extra expense, because they know the equipment and the software (hopefully) and then you can shoot and not worry about how to operate the prompter and software.

Be sure you have all the necessary hardware to mount your camera on the prompter rig. Having some extra 1/4 - 20, or 3/8 inch bolts, nuts and washers can be helpful.
Old August 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #6
Inner Circle

If your doctor is comfortable wearing a tiny earpiece, you can record his speech and feed it into his years... with some practice it can be done.
Old August 19th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #7
Major Player

DV Prompters...

Also, check out:

www.prompterpeople.com

Some veteran (I can't remember who) on this forum told me about it. I got a prompter for my DVX to do stuff like this:

http://www.userdesigngroup.com/softw...ng_video_1.php

It breaks down small and does the job. It runs off my PowerBook with a prompter software.

Like $1100, little steep but paid for itself after a few projects. They are so expensive to rent, in some cities you have rent a PERSON too, just to run it!!
Old August 19th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #8
Trustee

I have the universal 17"

http://www.prompterpeople.com/universal15detail.htm

It's a big difference when your talent is starring back at the lens, and appears to be speaking eloquently as if from memory.

You also have to consider scroll speed. You can give your talent a wireless controller that will regulate the speed, however it will look read then as the talents eyes wander down to the bottom, or become confused.

I generally have someone else regulate the speed from the labtop to keep the read portion of the text even with the lens.

It's also a great confidence builder for the intimidated or those whom are not accustomed to being filmed. My last job with it was a ten minute broadcast, and the marketing manager was assigned to deliver it. He was very relieved to see the prompter, tossed his note cards aside and became very candid during the delivery.

Setup is simple and only adds 10 minutes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion