Recording onto Mini-DV from post. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 3rd, 2003, 12:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording onto Mini-DV from post.

My original footage was taped on my GL2 then captured onto the PC for editing. Now when I want to put it back onto MinDV tape, should I record using the GL2 again or use the Beater JVC GR-DVP3?
Gilbert Xiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 12:55 PM   #2
Rextilleon

I am not familiar with the JVC but if its DV it doesn't really matter----DV is DV.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 12:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

So the quality being recorded onto the JVC will still be from the GL2 then? There won't be a loss right?
Old March 3rd, 2003, 05:57 PM   #4
Rextilleon

no loss at all---unless you have dirty heads or something--
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 07:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by David Mintzer : no loss at all---unless you have dirty heads or something-- -->>>

Thanks! That's exactly what I expected.
Old March 6th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I don't know the JVC either, but I was in a similar situation. Post house had the Sony 1500 (I think). Later, couldn't play back from my camera. Found out the 1500 could only record in DVCAM mode, so check the JVC too.

Silver Reflections
guypringle@yahoo.com
+27(0)83 256 8566
Guy Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 07:35 PM   #7
Contributor

The JVC is only DV.
I think it's a better idea to output your master to a deck rather than your camera. There have been quite a few incidents in which the person shot his footage, loaded it with the camera that shot it, then made his master to the same camera, and then took the tape to a dub house, and it wouldn't play on a professional deck. The reason--his camera's heads were out of alignment. I personally know of 3 cameras that have caused trouble in this manner. In one case, the guy shot an entire production in France. Then he somehow discovered that his heads were out of alignment, and he sent his camera in for repair. Not a good idea until the tapes were dubbed. But he didn't know better. Of course, what happened was when he got the camera back, now all adjusted to spec, it wouldn't play the tapes it had shot when it was out of adjustment. Nobody else's deck would play them either, even the high end DSR1800 and 2000, which will play most things even if they are a little out of tolerance. His heads had been way out.

So, if you have a deck and take a tape from your camera and play it in the deck and it won't play properly, then you know you have a camera problem and you will know it before it's too late. Then you can clone the tapes via firewire from the errant camera to the deck and then get your camera fixed.

Now, not to be alarmist or anything...but I know a person who bought a used DV deck and has made all these master tapes...and then found that the dub house couldn't play them. Turns out the DECK was out of alignment.

This is one reason professional decks and cameras cost what they do. So, unless you can afford those high end things, it's a good idea to cover your tracks whenever you can. Check your camera occasionally by trying to play a tape you've shot in somebody else's camera or deck.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion