Will technology kill the video business - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 7th, 2003, 11:14 AM   #16
Major Player

With the cost of equipment coming down, do we at least have a consensus that there are more players attempting to enter the field. I also have to ask what damage is caused by the frequency of technology leaps? 20 years ago it seems a person could buy a camera and have it be on top for a while. This is no longer the case, I see a problem with equipment and software needing to be replaced before it has paid for itself. case in point, the 15 and 20 thousand dollar digital still cameras. I realize the top people can keep up but what about those in the semi pro environment? It seems to me the pressure is on and budgets are down. I noticed someone on ebay with a DVD duplication service, 100 discs 300 dollars. Ideas for diversifying seem to be drying up.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #17
Regular Crew

imo, if you buy more than can pay for itself in a couple gigs, you bought too much. if you're really ready for a $20k digital camera, you'd better be making $10k a shoot. otherwise its a risky investment, and i'm not a gambling man. its a matter of mastering your tools before you acquire too much of them. a great director can shoot with a Hi8 and demonstrate his/her skill. if the tech is all that's getting you a gig, you're in the wrong game i think.
Old March 7th, 2003, 09:52 PM   #18
Warden

Your absolutely correct Brian. My calculations and goals were to recoup my $80,000 investment in 12 to 18 months. Any longer than that and I wasn't making any money, just putting my banker's kid through college. Smaller ticket items need to be paid off over a much shorter period of time.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 10:33 PM   #19
Major Player

Don:

Yes, I think more players are entering the field. But the field is bigger and many of the players, who like me are entering because barriers are down, won't make it. It all balances out eventually.

Just to tighten up what Brian and Jeff said, if technology turns at a certain rate, once simply needs a rate of return that is faster than the technology turn. So if camcorders turn every two years, you have to have paid for the last one in less than two years. I don't see this as damage, just a fact of life.

I guess it's a matter of perspective. Like I said earlier, some of the new folks will displace some of the old folks. That certainly is pressure.

As for the $3 DVD, I don't know what service is being supplied by the eBay seller you found, but $3 per DVD is a pretty typical price for a DVD in a DVD package with a 4-color outside insert.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion