DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Not recognizing dv on my G5 HELP!!! ITS FOR WORK!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/74193-not-recognizing-dv-my-g5-help-its-work.html)

Ryan Wachter August 24th, 2006 10:41 AM

Not recognizing dv on my G5 HELP!!! ITS FOR WORK!!!

Ok so my G5 is not recognizing dv inputs...i have tried multiple cameras that are both tested on other machines to work, using cables that are tested to work and when i use them in my G5 they do no recognize one another. I know the firewire port works because it reads my external hard drive just fine, but when i go to plug in my firewire to dv wire...nothing...in either firewire port. This has not been a problem in the past I have used this camera this wire in this computer for months and then all of the sudden it just stopped working...any suggestions....PLEASE HELP!

Peter Wiley August 24th, 2006 11:27 AM

Need a bit more info here. What kind of DV devices aren't being recognized? What kind of camera/ What system are you running? What cards/devices are installed etc.?

Ryan Wachter August 24th, 2006 11:35 AM

This is a stock g5 tower...honestly im not sure of the hardware but its all stock.
Im trying to use FCP HD, ive tried using a canon XL-1 and a canon vistura.

An external hard drive using firewire works, but neither of these dv cameras seem to.

Both cameras do however work on other computers.

Peter Wiley August 24th, 2006 01:22 PM

Do the computers on which the cameras work also have firewire drives attached?

A. J. deLange August 24th, 2006 01:34 PM

The first thing to do is make sure the camera is connected directly to the fire wire port i.e. no hubs and no daisy chaining through disk drives or other devices. Indirect connection often causes the problem you are seeing. If that doesn't solve the problem then try to get the camera onto its own bus. This means buying a fire wire card for the camera alone or for everything else with the camera being the only thing connected to the computer's installed bus. Note that all the ports that come with the computer are probably on the same bus.

Ryan Wachter August 31st, 2006 12:56 PM

Well my question is, why would it work for weeks and then one day stop working? At the same time it does work on the exact same computer at home. Same model and same program...

Brendon Whateley August 31st, 2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Wachter
Well my question is, why would it work for weeks and then one day stop working? At the same time it does work on the exact same computer at home. Same model and same program...

Any patch, upgrade or fix? Virus? Broken cable? Dirty connector?

Mike Hanlon August 31st, 2006 07:16 PM

When you launch FCP, is there a warning about missing DV devices?

I have not seen this since FCP 5.0, but it used to happen to me in earlier version and I found my only solution was to throw away FCP preferences.