Tight schedule -- ship or hand carry gear? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 25th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Tight schedule -- ship or hand carry gear?

I have 2 shoots next week one in DC and one in Al. I need to bring my whole kit to both. Lights, Sound, Cameras, Stills, etc.... I'm FedExing most of it to each location, The still set up is in a KATA backpack so I'm carrying that. Now the lights I'm not so worried about they are in a Lowell hard case, but the HD100 is what worries me. It's in a Pelican hard case, but abusive Fed Ex people are of great concern. Would you pack it in the case and say see you in DC on Monday or send the case with the accessories and hand carry the HD100 also. The cases will be locked also.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Me? I would load them in the car and drive. Screw the airports! That is just sheer madness, especially these days! My wife thinks I'm afraid of flying, but I actually used to enjoy it. It's all the other garbage that kills it.
Old August 25th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #3
Major Player

I would much rather drive than fly belive me, but I have to shoot in DC on Tuesday and then in AL on Wednesday
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Capt. Quirk

Yeah, that's doable, but you'd end up crashing towards the end. Just that 10 or 12 hour drive is tough on a person. Why schedule them so close together?
Old August 25th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Jerry,

My experience with FedEx has been pretty much positive over the years and I don't think any of their drivers or handlers are intentionally abusive with anything. Of course accidents and rough handling are always a possibility though. The general rule is, the less time a package is in transit, the less of a chance there is for something to go wrong. For this reason, overnight shipping is great. Since it gets there quick it's by far the safest way to ship. Also, go ahead and pay for the insurance, that way if something does go wrong then you're covered.

I think you should ship your HD100. The best way to do that is to find a good, sturdy cardboard box that's about four to six inches bigger all the way around than your Pelican case. But the Pelican case inside the box with plenty of styrofoam packing peanuts. Now you're completely double-boxed and good to go. With overnight shipping your camera is less exposed to theft and physical danger this way than it would be if you were hand carrying it. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Yeah, that's doable, but you'd end up crashing towards the end. Just that 10 or 12 hour drive is tough on a person. Why schedule them so close together?

They got scheduled for me. I'm not my own boss :(

Thanks Chris yea overnight is the way to go.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion