DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   I have to ask: what kind of NLE do I need? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/74716-i-have-ask-what-kind-nle-do-i-need.html)

Jim Benton September 2nd, 2006 08:26 AM

I have to ask: what kind of NLE do I need?

I know this is something that is just a matter of personal preference but I would like some opinion on to what would be an efficient editing system for editing a documentary with minimal use of effects. In short, I suppose, i'm wondering if I'll actually need to go out and purchase the $1,100 final cut pro to get the job done. The ducumentary should be in keeping with the highest professional standards however. Since I'll be spending a substantial amount to keep this high quality on all of the other equipment, i'm just wondering if i could cut corners here.

Thanks,
Jim

Richard Alvarez September 2nd, 2006 08:35 AM

Jim,

If all you are doing is straight cuts, dissolves and some basic titling, then just about ANY NLE will be able to handle those tasks.

More importantly, ask yourself this. "Why to I want/NEED to own an NLE?"

Is this doc a single 'labor of love' that you are trying to bring to fruition? Perhaps your money will be better spent, hiring the best editor you can afford to assist you in cutting your vision together. IF you have no intention of using the system for other projects, then this might be your best productive use of funds for your project.

IF you plan on doing numerous projects in the future, then you are faced with the question of long term investment vs short term expediency. Only you can decide what sorts of projects the future will hold for you.

Sorry if that's not the answer you were looking for, but it's really the sort of thing you have to decide, after you carefully examine all YOUR needs. Budget, platform (pc/mac), format (HD?HDV?FILM?ETC) Final delivery, and the possibility of recouping your costs.

Jim Benton September 2nd, 2006 09:12 AM

Thanks Richard; these are important questions to ask indeed. This is emerging as a labor of love project for me and i've discovered through working with imovie (I meant to post this question in the mac version thread), that editing is quickly becoming as much of a passion for me as shooting. i soppose that i could purchase a basic version of an upgradable NLE and then just upgrade if there ends up being something missing to complete the project. At this point however i'm asking myself the ever popular question: final cut, or avid? any insights?

jim

Rob Lohman September 2nd, 2006 09:17 AM

It will also depend on things like amount of footage, format the footage will
be shot in (DV, HDV, Film, etc.) and whether you are on Windows or Mac
platform.

You asked about FCP while you posted your question in the Windows NLE
forum. I've moved your thread (at least for the moment) to our general
discussion forum since I don't know if you have a platform preference yet.

Avid is available on both platform and has been touted as a more difficult
NLE to learn. It is more "compatible" with the "industry", but FCP is being
used a lot as well.

On the Windows side you have various NLE's (cheaper than FCP as well)
form the established Adobe Premiere Pro, to the wonderful (imho) Sony Vegas
and again Avid.

p.s. I also renamed your thread to something that clearly indicates what
kind of information you are looking for BEFORE someone opens your thread.
Since this is a high volume site it is good manner to tell someone who might
want to help what it is you are looking for. Otherwise people might waste
there time (or simply not open the thread at all!).

Please take these things (where you place your thread as well) into consideration
for next time. Thanks!

Jim Benton September 2nd, 2006 10:00 AM

Thank you Rob,
No, I wasn't aware that avid was more difficult to learn. this helps the decision process a bit. thanks for the posting info. I am new here in this forum as you can see. I see that your living in europe. any ideas on where to purchase equipment in germany or the netherlands? Electronics are always way too expensive here in france. I'm looking for an editing deck, a sennheiser 416 and a sony PVM 14m24 monitor in particular. No lights yet either. Thanks

Rob Lohman September 2nd, 2006 10:22 AM

The stuff is indeed usually a bit more expensive here in Europe. Also (at least
here in Holland) it's hard to find shops that carry some stuff you might want
to check out in person before buying. All the stuff I bought in the past I always
bought within Holland. Just had to do a lot of searching to find a piece of kit
for an acceptible price.

I can't point you to any specific shops I'm afraid. I bought my XL1S from a
local shop that had it cheap(er) for a limited time and most other stuff I bought
was computer related (or photography) for which a few good webshops (in
Dutch) exist.

I have no idea for stuff in France, sorry.

Regarding my earlier question. Are you on Mac or Windows? That will help you
narrow down the choices of NLE's you have.

If I remember correctly there is also a cheaper version of FCP.

Hans Ledel September 2nd, 2006 11:46 AM

Hello

Since you have a Mac then I would suggest you buy Final Cut Express HD

You can buy that from Apple.fr for 299 Euros

Cheers

Hans