DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   What are you editing on? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/753-what-you-editing.html)

Aaron Frick January 22nd, 2002 11:18 AM

What are you editing on?

Just a quick survery, what are you all editing your dv footage on and what are your favorite things about it and what don't you like about it.

I'm on media100i v.7.5

Matt Ockenfels January 22nd, 2002 12:42 PM

Hi Aaron,

I edit on a Sony RX-580 bundled with Premiere; I use a Sony DV video walkman attached via firewire as a player/recorder for the system.

The version of Premiere included is LE, which is servicable. The entire system (including the walkman) worked right out of the box. Plugged everythin in, and boom, full functionality in capturing, editing, and exporting DV. That I liked.

The computer does not have composite video inputs or outputs, but the video walkman will do the transcoding.

The only gripe I have is that the DV output must be turned off while editing; Premiere performance stinks when it is on. And, of course, I had to find this fix with experimentation as there is no mention of the problem on the Sony or Adobe web sites!

BTB, the RX-580 has a DVD burner and software, too!

Edward Troxel January 22nd, 2002 01:51 PM

I use Cinestream. It is very easy to use and very intuitive. I have not seen a program that operates as easily as Cinestream.

Bill Ravens January 22nd, 2002 03:40 PM

I'm using a plethora of things, including Premier 6, Pinnacle Studio 7 and Ulead MediaStudio Pro 6.5. Studio 7 with Hollywood FX was my workhorse, but, I'm getting spoiled by the smooth and easy of MSP 6.5. The built in vectorscope and signal analyzer, plus, the DVD plug-in has made my work very uncomplicated. I won't touch the S7 MPEG option, finding that TMPGEnc gives me the best quality when I need mpeg1, 2 or DiVX output. VirtualDub also has some great internal filters for those special apps. Premier is my least used piece of software. I find it cumbersome, glitchy, and a PITRA to use.

Mike Butler January 24th, 2002 05:08 PM

Mac G4 with Final Cut Pro here.

Has lots of creative control for the money, and when I bought it I knew that FCP was an up-and-coming thing, which means there will be enough skilled users around if I should need to enlist a helping hand due to my growing workload...and if I am ever on the street in need of an assignment there'll be a ready market of clients.

Mike Butler December 9th, 2005 12:34 PM

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Fast forward (scrub) to 2005, now on a 1.6 GHz aluminum PowerBook, STILL using FCP. Last week I was using a client's G5 workstation w/FCP doing motion control all natively. If it ain't busted I don't try to fix it.

George Ellis December 9th, 2005 12:58 PM

One of those $79 executive chairs with the arms... oh... ;)

Homebuilt dual Xeon using Avid Liquid (typing while install version 7). I also use Animation:Master for titles, Sonic Fire Pro for the odd track, MediaChance DVD-Lab for authoring (similar to DVD Maestro interface), and Sony SoundForge 7 for cleanup.

Robert Simon December 9th, 2005 04:50 PM

iMac G4 with Final Cut Express. A great way to get decent power and nice features in an inexpensive way (relatively speaking). Comes with good titling and musix creation software. Best of all, is the stepping stone to FCP.

17" monitor seemed fantastic at first, but now I could use more real estate.

Mike Butler December 9th, 2005 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Simon
....Comes with good titling...

Not bad; Photoshop makes for better titling, though. :)

Matt Brabender December 9th, 2005 05:36 PM

Avid Xpress Pro HD at work - I love how slick and professional it feels and the media management, at the same time, you can be locked into a way of working so some things take longer to perform than other NLE's.

Sony Vegas 6c at home (and work sometimes) I love the freedom of workflow - you can work any which way you want and everything is easily and instantly adjustable, but sometimes that makes things a bit messy.
Colour correction in this rocks!

Rick Steele December 9th, 2005 06:47 PM

Just looking at my start menu...

Premiere Pro 1.5, Adobe Audition, Blufftitler, Fantamorph, Scenalyzer and Ulead's DVD Workshop. Not the best arsenal of post production tools but I get by.

I recently got Adobe AfterFx... haven't the patience nor the time to learn it just yet. Maybe next year.

Pentium 4, 3.0 ghz

Shane Ross December 9th, 2005 07:25 PM

Powermac G5 (dual 2ghz, 3.5GB RAM) and FCP Studio. Aurora PipePro Studio, (2) Dell 2405 LCD monitors, DSR-11, (2) G-Raid 500GB drives, Behringer 8 channel mixer, JVC 9" production monitor.

Editing DV, uncompressed SD, and DVCPRO HD.

On the many many jobs I get hired for, I am sitting in front of Avid Media Composers most the time.

Robin Davies-Rollinson December 10th, 2005 04:28 AM

Avid Xpress DV, Adobe After Effects 6.5 pro, Adobe Premiere Elements v2.0 (very useful for titling and some effects...) BluffTitler, CoolEditPro.
Must upgrade PC soon to take advantage of HDV camera!

Robin

K. Forman December 10th, 2005 09:32 AM

Using mostly Premiere 6.something on my PC, and also use the tools that came with my DV Storm card, like wave and vector. The Storm card also came with Boris and several other titles I never quite used enough to figure out. What can I say? I want to edit, but usually get work as second cam.

Amy May December 11th, 2005 07:53 AM

Mac G4 (Quicksilver, 933 Mhz, 1 GB Ram), Final Cut Pro 4, DVD Studio Pro 2, Live Type, Compressor & Soundtrack.

FCP is easy to use and integrates well with the other programs (i.e. Live Type) only gripe is how it handles clip speed changes, not enough flexibility. Also using a G4 iBook to compress projects when the tower is busy with editing. Will add a G5 Quad when it makes sense to edit HD (need to be able to deliver HD discs that clients can play).