Getting your name out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 12th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Getting your name out?

I'm having the toughest time trying to let the world know about my production company, inVISIONit studios. I've tried everything (that costs $0)! Youtube, myspace films..I need some advice, I want to start filming serious short films, but I want to get some exposure before I launch myself into the indie world. Any advice? check out my site to see what I'm all about.
Michael Rapadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rapadas
I want to start filming serious short films, but I want to get some exposure before I launch myself into the indie world.
Exposure comes AFTER you make stuff. Get to work and make some good movies and then begin to look for ways to promote your work.

YouTube, Myspace, etc. etc.... None of that will help if you aren't making things that people want to see. You have to produce some good work, and then people will begin to take notice if you have talent and play your cards right. Content always comes first.

EDIT: Also, here are some things to be prepared for, because they are almost certain to apply. Be prepared to labor in absolute obscurity for years, and to be determined enough to keep at it. If you decide to make money by doing videography on the side while you do your work in the rest of your time, be prepared to be poor sometimes and to not always have a steady source of income. Be prepared to fail, even by your own standards--a lot. Be prepared to hear a lot of really harsh criticism from people who wouldn't know a movie from their elbow, and be prepared to respond to that criticism (in whatever way you decide is best) instead of letting it bother you.
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod Whaley
Exposure comes AFTER you make stuff. Get to work and make some good movies and then begin to look for ways to promote your work.

YouTube, Myspace, etc. etc.... None of that will help if you aren't making things that people want to see. You have to produce some good work, and then people will begin to take notice if you have talent and play your cards right. Content always comes first.

EDIT: Also, here are some things to be prepared for, because they are almost certain to apply. Be prepared to labor in absolute obscurity for years, and to be determined enough to keep at it. If you decide to make money by doing videography on the side while you do your work in the rest of your time, be prepared to be poor sometimes and to not always have a steady source of income. Be prepared to fail, even by your own standards--a lot. Be prepared to hear a lot of really harsh criticism from people who wouldn't know a movie from their elbow, and be prepared to respond to that criticism (in whatever way you decide is best) instead of letting it bother you.
inspiring. Thanks for the advice, I've been really worrying about my production and my future. Now I feel stupid for not really taking enough time to think about my publicity approach. I've been on different forums, (especially my350.com) . Oh my goodness I didn't even get critcism. On one of my posts, I got 61 replies, and maybe only 4-5 were supportive or compliments. (Wrong forum anyway, bunch of ignorant people) thanks for the advice, now I have a new perspective of filmmaking and my future plans.
Michael Rapadas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion