Question about "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 24th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan
You plot your x and y co-ordinates in Luv space (the *obsolete* Luv color space, not the newer one) and figure out which point on the Planckian curve is the closest (i.e. find the closest distance on a plot of everything in Luv space).
Turns out this is correct (search "correlated color temperature" in Google). Calculations are done in the 1960 Luv space by drawing the perpendicular to the Planckian curve through the u,v point having the coordinates of the distribution. Or one can draw the Planckian curve in x,y space with lines of constant correlated color temperature (not quite perpendicular in this space) and find the line closest to which the x,y coordinate of the spectrum lies (saves having to compute u and v). The locus of "D" white points is so close to the Planckian curve (p19 of the "White Paper") in xy space that you would probably incur little error by doing the comparison in xy space.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
(search "correlated color temperature" in Google)
But sometimes Google / things you find on the Internet are wrong. :( Case in point: 6500K versus D65.

Anyways, I think we've really really gone off-topci from the original post. :D
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #33
Major Player

Alas true but in this case Poynton confirms it (p223) and indeed running this algorithm against D65 returns 6504.2 K (published CCT 6504) and for illuminant C; 6775.4 K (published value 6774 K). I'm convinced.

Yes, a bit off topic but I needed to review this stuff for something else I'm doing related to the perceived color of beer and this discussion helped me do that. Thanks.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion