Broadway at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 9th, 2003, 12:09 PM   #1
Outer Circle

Broadway

In case some of you haven't read this yet:

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,107855,00.asp
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Great article -- thanks for posting it. It just reinforces the decision to stay with B&H and the sponsors of this board. Never had a bad transaction with 'em!
Old March 9th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Good article Frank. That was in last month's issue I believe, but still good to post it up. Too bad DVMag still insists on supporting theives.
Matt Betea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Thank you for the article alert, Frank. I've wanted to read that article since it was first announced.

I grit my teeth just thinking about how dealers like Broadway fleece people every day. That owner-has-brain-damage-low-price draw is, and will remain, an extremely powerful draw. I can't help thinking about a fellow who recently started a low-price thread here on the GL2. In his case, he worked for a school district that really needed to buy at the lowest price. Fortunately his case worked out ok. But how many do not?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 05:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

What I can't believe though, is that these kinds of shops/operators/owners, seem immune from the law? I don't see how places like the ones mentioned in the article are able to still do business. Not to mention the fact that the people running these operations are able to walk down the street.

I read an article a couple months ago about a young woman smoking weed while using her webcam. Apparently there was a off duty or undercover cop watching her. They busted her. But, robbing people on the internet is ok? <sarcasm>Lovely system we have.</sarcasm>
Matt Betea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 06:08 PM   #6
Rextilleon

Places in NYC are stung all the time by the Department of Consumer Affairs---unfortunately the usually pay the fine and keep operating or just change the name of their company----With the budget cuts the City is facing, it seems like the Broadways of the world will continue to abuse customers-----
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 06:17 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Matt,
I think there are several reasons why they continue to prosper, especially in NY.

First, they stay just inside the line of fraud. Hawking come-on prices and then making your magins with other garbage is unethical and customer-hateful but it's just aggressive business practices. They generally ship what they sell or refund money...eventually.

Second, there can be little question that city and state officials are "thanked" by these business owners. There have been occasional whisper rumors that organized crime might be involved with a few of these dealers but I've not seen that substantiated.

Why the NY/NJ area? Simple. It's a convenient seaport and the city and state officials probably welcome being "thanked". Plus, NY has many bigger issues to devote honest attention towards.

Privately-held retailers are, for most practical definitions, immune from a great deal of civil legal action. They can fold up their tent and disappear within days, reappearing under a new name next door the following month.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2003, 05:20 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Interesting. I came across their full page ad in the latest MacWorld, and saw the GL2 listed for $1,799. I went to their site to check it out, and it was $1,999 plus $245.18 for 3-day UPS delivery!! I looked at B&H, and they charge $23.65 for the same shipping.

Based on their ad and website, both pretty professional looking, I could see how someone could easily get scammed.

Fortunately for me, Im one of those who has to have it in front of them at the store before I pay. I hate waiting :)

I must say, I've ordered quite a few things from B&H Photo, and have been extremely pleased with them.

Kirk
Kirk Messner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2003, 06:25 PM   #9
Rextilleon

The beauty is that MacWorld will continue to be accomplices to this scam----it's disgusting.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2003, 06:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Yeah, I guess I don't have a criminal mind. Because I don't get it. Comparing their prices in DVmag ads to their website. You'll notice they list all their "import/grey market" prices in the magazine, but don't specify they are grey market prices. I've started noticing something among the scamming stores. You can spot them by pricing their accessories. I saw one store list a 3 yr Mack Digital camcorder warranty for $699. The same one that b&h sells for under $200 (I believe $189).
Matt Betea is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion