1st Music Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 18th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

1st Music Video

PLEASE COMMENT! I NEED CRITQUE TO IMPROVE MY FILMING AND EDITING SKILLS. THANKS EVERYONE FOR BEING SO SUPPORTIVE!! (watch my other videos if you have time)

This video is a remake of 'Take on Me' by A-HA

http://www.invisionitstudios.com/Takeonme.html
Michael Rapadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #2
Major Player

It was pretty funny, the shots are looking great, some creative stuff in there. The dolly shots of the car were great. My only problem was the bluish tint on some of the car shots, which was probably a creative decision, but in the end just feels like someone forgot to white balance the camera. Good job overall, and especially on filming inside Serramonte though, I'd never have the audacity to bring my gear there. And did I see someone ghost riding the whip in the Costco parking lot? Trying to throw a little of that bay flavor in there, huh? hahaha.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris
It was pretty funny, the shots are looking great, some creative stuff in there. The dolly shots of the car were great. My only problem was the bluish tint on some of the car shots, which was probably a creative decision, but in the end just feels like someone forgot to white balance the camera. Good job overall, and especially on filming inside Serramonte though, I'd never have the audacity to bring my gear there. And did I see someone ghost riding the whip in the Costco parking lot? Trying to throw a little of that bay flavor in there, huh? hahaha.
WOW, right on target with my color balance! Yeah, very immature-filmmaker of me. (still learning to make a check list) I'm very indecisive at times with how i want it to be. At first i wanted a cool look, then I tried a warmer look, and I liked it a lot better. Thanks for the comment!
Michael Rapadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #4
Major Player

"ghost riding the whip" is that still popular? LOL

Looks like this was a lot of fun to make. The energy came through in the video just fine. There's a difference between shooting a bunch of stuff then editing it together and sitting down and planning what you want to shoot.

This seemed more like the former (let me know if I'm wrong). Don't get me wrong, extemporaneous energy is a good thing. Faking it is really hard. Then again that's why those who can do it get paid a lot.

When I think of re-making music videos I usually have something specific in mind. For this song I would have gone with a theme; the song is "Take On Me" and I would have used that literally. Meaning this is my take on me, a video self portrait set to music. I'd sit down and plan the whole thing out; script, storyboards, shot lists, you know, all the boring 'work' stuff.

So my first critique would be to do that. Shoot something with story or a theme. Something you sit down and plan then execute. Then we can talk about technique more. Anybody can run around with a camera.

But you're young (how did you find this 80's song by the way?) with lots of energy. Nothing wrong with it unless someone finds out you're using their music illegally.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion