Just recieved mac pro..4g of ram missing!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Just recieved mac pro..4g of ram missing!!

Good morning, here is your new special order Mac pro quad that you've been waiting a week for...the only problem is we forgot to put the $1000,00 worth of ram you ordered inside the computer!!! Sweet sassy!!

Anyone else have this type of problem. I've been on the phone for 45 min, disconnected twice and still in a holding pattern. Fudge.

The up side is that I can put off jumping into the HDV editing learning curve.
Scott Tebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tebeau
The up side is that I can put off jumping into the HDV editing learning curve.
There won't be much of one with FCP.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What about all the time code breaks that people are having with importing? It sounds like people are having real problems with just getting the footage into their computer.

Nate, do you have a good work flow that you are using with new Fcp native 24p?
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Almost 2 hours later all they can offer me is to send the machine back as DOA. So, now I must wait for shipping labels, send the machine in, wait an additional 2-4 day as they build the Mac box again.... and then wait for return shipping.....

Why can't they just send the missing RAM?

Does not seem fair, or good policy. I'm hitting pot holes right out of the gate.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:19 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Almost 2 hours later all they can offer me is to send the machine back as DOA. So, now I must wait for shipping labels, send the machine in, wait an additional 2-4 day as they build the Mac box again.... and then wait for return shipping.....

Why can't they just send the missing RAM?

Does not seem fair, or good policy. I'm hitting pot holes right out of the gate.
Ouch Scott, that's not right. They should be overnighting you the missing RAM. Did you buy an Applecare Warranty? That seems to give you more leverage. Tell them they can overnight you the missing ram, or you'll be happy to return the system....for a full refund.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:57 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
What about all the time code breaks that people are having with importing? It sounds like people are having real problems with just getting the footage into their computer.

Nate, do you have a good work flow that you are using with new Fcp native 24p?
I didn't say people weren't having problems. I just meant that there's not much to know. The JVC seems to be the camera with TC break probs (which I was experienced with). The Canon and Sony don't seem to be as troublesome.

I got rid of my HD100 2 weeks before the FCP update. I'm doing XDCAM HD now.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Greg, yes I did get the apple care, and you are right about them overnighting the RAM.... never the less their policy is to treat machines w/missing components as DOA -- no acceptations.

Seems a little flaky to me that the burden should fall on the customer.

Well.... what's two more weeks when your sitting on a project with 18 hours of raw footage and a buggy system that will most likely be hellish to iron out with the JVC HD 100 and FCP combo.

Nate, sorry if my response sounded contradictory, was not the intent. I've read a number of posts that people are experiencing some real show-stopper problems with the JVC.

Hopefully in a few weeks all the HD100 24p people will be sleeping well again.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 06:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The timecode breaks problem might be Final Cut Pro detecting ones that don't exist??

The cow has a thread on it:
http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bi...8&pview=t#head
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 06:33 PM   #9
Wrangler

Possibly. But the problem doesn't happen with Sony 1080i HDV, and you don't read about Canon people with it either. At least I haven't.

I'm guessing this is a "it takes two to tango" situation.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 06:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Glen,
started reading the COW thread, looks like many high end houses are having similar TC problems. Maybe its goes further then the HD100/FCP combo.....
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:30 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
Possibly. But the problem doesn't happen with Sony 1080i HDV, and you don't read about Canon people with it either. At least I haven't.

I'm guessing this is a "it takes two to tango" situation.
I suspect the real issue is the way the HD100 is sending timecode through the firewire stream. If you watch closely in the log & capture window while playing 720P24 it looks like FCP thinks the TC is base 29.97, even though it is actually 23.98. Changing the device control preset to 23.98 doesn't change the way log & capture reads the code. Interestingly, the code is accurate at every 1 second turnover.
I think the HDV 1080i 24F streams from the XL-H1 maintain 29.97 TC code on the tape much like DV 24P, so it is much simpler. (I don't have a XLH1 available to confirm this theory, so maybe someone could check their 24F footage for me.)
I'm still analyzing this whole 24P timecode thing.

I imagine this TC issue is what the BR-HD50 firmware update was all about and Carl Hicks suggested today that a similar HD100 firmware update will follow as soon as they figure out a way to do it without screwing up the SSE calibration. I'm crossing my fingers.
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #12
Major Player

Exactly why I no longer purchase anything directly from Apple. Always purchase through a dealer. Get much better service.
Old October 9th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #13
Major Player

Does not sound like he ordered from Apple. If he did, I'll try not to.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I did In fact order the G5 through Apple. The new box is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.... Hopefully with all the right stuff.

I'm not the first one to lose weeks/months from waiting on Apple to put things right. I guess, the lesson here is -- don't count your chickens before they hatch. If you have an Important project coming up be sure to get your equipment at least a month ahead and make sure its all working.
Scott Tebeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion