DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Resources for Documenatry? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/76774-resources-documenatry.html)

Paul Cypert October 4th, 2006 12:14 AM

Resources for Documentary?

Hello all,
I've searched through here. I'm sorry if this has been covered or if the question is not allowed.

Anyone know any wonderful forums like this that have a lot of folks posting on documentary films? I'm getting more and more into documentary films and would like to know some great places to read up on stuff and meet some more folks doing this kind of work? I love the forums here and will continue using them, but any pointers?

Paul

Richard Alvarez October 4th, 2006 06:44 AM

Good question, I can't think of any 'doc-centric' forums. It comes up here as a topic from time to time. Usually runs a good while as a thread. Nany of us have produced docs. (I have.)

Is there a particular question or topic you would like to discuss?

Ash Greyson October 4th, 2006 01:11 PM

There is a doc forum on DVXuser, not very active though. I have pretty extensive knowledge of the genre though so ask away! I am speaking with DA Pennebaker at the Film & History conference in Dallas next month on the place of the documentary film in history...

ash =o)

Paul Cypert October 5th, 2006 12:23 AM

Wish I was back home to attend that talk. I'm from Abilene originally and lived in Dallas.

I do documentaries for Non Profits here in Thailand (fluff pieces really)...but am about to start a full fledged possibly full length documentary project and am needing some folks to bounce ideas off, help find some possible funding, etc. Just looking for other folks who have shot year long docs that can share some of the pain of the process...

Paul

Ash Greyson October 5th, 2006 12:54 AM

I have gotten 4 docs funded so far, 2 I had nothing to do with other than hooking up the $$$. My first, and only complete, doc was shot Pennebaker style over about 40 months. I work differently than most and I feel it helps pull out the stories better...

ash =o)

Tim Pearce October 22nd, 2006 08:51 AM

d-word

www.d-word.com

This is a forum for doc professionals. There are two parts to the site. The "Forum" is a public space. It has a few forums and also archived online doc conferences on different topics with different guests. The other section is the "Community". This is where all the good stuff is. There are forums for all aspects of doc making. You can post quesitions or read over old posts. Reading through old posts is like getting a master's degree in doc filmmaking. There are doc people with loads of experience from all over the world. The entire site is free, but you have to register for the community section. They want to restrict the membership to doc professionals, so there's an online set of quesitons to find out details about you. I have never made a doc, and I'm currently in university right now. I took a two year break from my filmmaking degree to live in Japan and film an independent doc. I put this in with my other filmmaking/photo experience and I guess it was sufficient. I guess that they're also looking for people who are passionate about learning from people with lots of experience, or people with lots of experience who want to pass it on to the next generation. It might also help if you're currently working on a doc (even in the planning stages).
Tim