Resources for Documenatry? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 4th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Resources for Documentary?

Hello all,
I've searched through here. I'm sorry if this has been covered or if the question is not allowed.

Anyone know any wonderful forums like this that have a lot of folks posting on documentary films? I'm getting more and more into documentary films and would like to know some great places to read up on stuff and meet some more folks doing this kind of work? I love the forums here and will continue using them, but any pointers?

Paul

Last edited by Paul Cypert; October 4th, 2006 at 02:53 AM.
Paul Cypert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Good question, I can't think of any 'doc-centric' forums. It comes up here as a topic from time to time. Usually runs a good while as a thread. Nany of us have produced docs. (I have.)

Is there a particular question or topic you would like to discuss?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Trustee

There is a doc forum on DVXuser, not very active though. I have pretty extensive knowledge of the genre though so ask away! I am speaking with DA Pennebaker at the Film & History conference in Dallas next month on the place of the documentary film in history...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Wish I was back home to attend that talk. I'm from Abilene originally and lived in Dallas.

I do documentaries for Non Profits here in Thailand (fluff pieces really)...but am about to start a full fledged possibly full length documentary project and am needing some folks to bounce ideas off, help find some possible funding, etc. Just looking for other folks who have shot year long docs that can share some of the pain of the process...

Paul
Paul Cypert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #5
Trustee

I have gotten 4 docs funded so far, 2 I had nothing to do with other than hooking up the $$$. My first, and only complete, doc was shot Pennebaker style over about 40 months. I work differently than most and I feel it helps pull out the stories better...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 08:51 AM   #6
Regular Crew

d-word

www.d-word.com

This is a forum for doc professionals. There are two parts to the site. The "Forum" is a public space. It has a few forums and also archived online doc conferences on different topics with different guests. The other section is the "Community". This is where all the good stuff is. There are forums for all aspects of doc making. You can post quesitions or read over old posts. Reading through old posts is like getting a master's degree in doc filmmaking. There are doc people with loads of experience from all over the world. The entire site is free, but you have to register for the community section. They want to restrict the membership to doc professionals, so there's an online set of quesitons to find out details about you. I have never made a doc, and I'm currently in university right now. I took a two year break from my filmmaking degree to live in Japan and film an independent doc. I put this in with my other filmmaking/photo experience and I guess it was sufficient. I guess that they're also looking for people who are passionate about learning from people with lots of experience, or people with lots of experience who want to pass it on to the next generation. It might also help if you're currently working on a doc (even in the planning stages).
Tim
Tim Pearce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion