Whats a newbie to do? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 7th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #16
New Boot

Thanks again guys. Adam I am offering a free music video to a friends band. And I am talking with 2 non profits for PSA's for them, plus I am out there looking to shoot some stock footage and learning as I go. I do agree with your statement that sometimes it makes more sense to do some things for yourself and not wait for others to hand you a "favor" of doing things for free for them. It is my fear that if I get to be known as the guy who did it for free for so and so that it will have an effect on future clients and their ability to pay for something. On the other hand I agree with Peter that there is much more to happiness than money and its good karma to offer your services to non profits for free or a reduced rate. But if someone can pay something then I think they should. I am not sitting around waiting for work to come to me and I am doing my own things, hopefully something within the next couple weeks to post for you guys to comment on.

None of us can afford to do free things for too long and neither should we. I just dont want to be known as the free guy and am being selective with who gets the offer for free services. We all hope that it will lead to future work, but Im sure you all have stories about things that should have lead to future stuff and didnt go anywhere. As far as a broke bride getting a free video....well with the stress and the craziness of her wedding day I can imagine that the demands put on the videographer of a wedding whether its free or for pay is monumental. Its my opinion that weddings should be on a pay basis, even if its a reduced rate. The wedding arena is definately word of mouth and I would be known as the free or cut rate guy and the other wedding videographers would hunt me down so thats not a road I want to go down. Again everyone thanks for your great advice, its much appreciated.

Tom
Tom York is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion