DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Canon GL1 VS Panasonic DVC30 ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/76878-canon-gl1-vs-panasonic-dvc30.html)

Lisa Shofner October 5th, 2006 10:47 AM

Canon GL1 VS Panasonic DVC30 ?

I couldn't find any comparisons on the GL1 vs DVC30. I'm looking at getting a DVC30 an then selling the GL1 or keeping it (i dont know yet). But I'm not sure which camera is "better" what the pitfalls are and where each one shines in comparison to the other.

If anyone has used the DVC30, can you help me out here? How did/do you like it, what are the pros and cons of this camera?

If you had the choice of GL1 or DVC30, which way would you go?

Is a like new (under an hour use, about a month old, with WA lens, fisheye lens, case, tripod, uv filter) DVC30 worth $1500? from my research it is, but thought i'd ask you guys.

Thanks for any help on this one.

Mark Williams October 5th, 2006 06:14 PM

Lisa,

I have owned both so here goes based on several hundred hours use. Also, try doing a search on this forum on "DVC30" as I had several posts on this topic.

GL-1
Good.
- 20x lens is great.
- warm color reproduction is appealling
- Manual ND filter allows use when you want it.
Bad.
- All plastic body does not allow rough use.
- Plagued by tape head alignment issues which ruined several projects of mine and required a trip to Canon to fix. This has been noted on several forums as a problem for some

DVC30
Good.
- All metal alloy body can take a licking and keep on ticking.
- Best slow zoom contol I have used. Can get down to an almost unnoticeable crawl.
- Ability to set scene files for that custom special look.
- Nice control layout.
- Just fits my hands and shooting style well.
- More CCD pixels than GL-1
- No head alignment issues so far.
- Top handle is handy.
Bad.
- ND filter is automatic and does not kick in when you might want it to.
- Sound recording control has been a problem for some but not me.
- Default settings lean toward blue or cool image but can be corrected in scene file settings.
- 20x instead of 16x lens would have been preferred for my shooting style.

Hope this helps. Oh, I wore out the Canon 18 months ago and now have the DVC30.

Michael Rowe October 8th, 2006 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Shofner
If anyone has used the DVC30, can you help me out here? How did/do you like it, what are the pros and cons of this camera?

Besides the image quality, sturdy build, great zoom, manual control & the nice, big crystal-clear 3.5" LCD (a huge plus for me), I don't think enough can be said for the ergonomics of this camera. It fits my hand like a glove and I rarely tire of holding it, even for long periods of time. It is extremely well-balanced IMO, a pleasure to use and at its best becomes an extension of me where I'm almost unaware that I'm holding it.

I have no experience with the GL1 so I cannot compare it, but I feel I made a good choice in buying this camera as my first 'prosumer' cam. It's funny--there was a time when all I ever wanted was a DVX. It's all I ever wanted to read about and was THE camera for me when I finally got the funds together. That changed real quick when I actually held one in my hands--don't know how to describe it exactly except to say when I held it I could intuitively sense it wasn't for me. The '30 felt just right. If I had gotten the DVX I probably would've bought an outrageously expensive case and made a shrine for it in my closet lol The way I see it, a camera that is a joy to hold and use is a camera that gets used.

The con that stands out for me is the quality of the onboard mic. But this is not a big deal with the XLR adapter and a good mic....a whole other conversation.

And lastly, I actually have made some good use of the infrared features of this cam. I was able to follow a conversation of people onto a pitch-dark porch up in the sticks of Maine while they talked about the beauty and wonders of the stars above.....and the quality of the image goes far beyond what one sees in the typical 'nightshot' features of consumer cams.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Shofner
Is a like new (under an hour use, about a month old, with WA lens, fisheye lens, case, tripod, uv filter) DVC30 worth $1500? from my research it is, but thought i'd ask you guys.

Sounds like B-stock or an eBay deal. My advice is not to let all the accessories and the lower price be what initially makes the deal for you. Making sure the camera you buy is not gray market and comes with a full Panasonic USA warranty (i.e. from an authorized Panny dealer) should be your priorities. Start with that first and then look for the best price, accessories, etc.

Just my $.02--good luck & happy shooting with whatever camera you get!

~Mike