DVCreators Seminar at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 14th, 2003, 10:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVCreators Seminar

Went to the dvcreators seminar yesterday here in Chicago and it was definitely worth the trip. Besides going over the GL2 (and basic camera usage in general) and lighting the presentation mostly focused on the NLE from Pinnacle.

I had never even seen a NLE in action and have never used one, but I can tell you that I was totally impressed on what you could do with Pinnacle Edition very easily. I'll still be evaluating some others in the future, but it sure looked like a tough to beat application based on features, price, and ease of use.

In any event, even if you don't care about the brands (I didn't) it was worth going to. The guy doing the presentation has done professional editing for network television and definitely knew his stuff.

The focus is on the what you can accomplish rather than the technology itself.

I read about this seminar here, so thanks to whoever posted it.
Carl Slawinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2003, 11:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I went to the same seminar on Tuesday in DC and agree wholeheartedly. Guy did a fine job in presenting .
Tom
Tom Markos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 05:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

how is "the greatest pen in the world" guy doing these days?

Trey Perrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 05:12 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

If you see Guy Cochran, tell him I said hello. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Trey,

I guess the fame has begun to spread already. Didn't take too long did it?
Were we introduced? I wish I had more time to meet everyone, especially since we are relatively close to each other.
Fill me in a little on just what you do in video production.
BTW, I am using the GL-2.

Tom
Old March 15th, 2003, 05:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

i was the guy in the back asking all the questions... im located in fredericksburg (bout 1 hr south of DC). i started doing video in H.S. and went to school at UCF in orlando for a few years with the intent of majoring in film...unfortunately between partying and working (dell tech support) i didnt quite make it. my interests shifted into computers as i picked it up so easily. Last year i started working for video again doing clips for http://insidecarolina.com mainly all the video i take is for web delivery, but i am now working under a gov't contractor and will be creating a video manual for a new type of body armor. i'm in the process of starting my own company http://visualstudios.org which i will probably focus on sports like i have in the past, but hope to move into other types of productions as well. here is a link to another thread that i posted with vid clips of mine...check it out and let me know wat you think. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=7750 We are pretty close, so networking would be advantageous for both of us, maybe one picks up a bigger project and needs another, etc. btw what do you do in vid production? got a page or any clips up ?

Trey Perrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 06:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Trey,

I will grant you this, you certainly were very knowledgeable. In the editing department I am, at best, a novice; hence, my attendance at the seminar.

Now I need to decide just which format I should use and then learn how to use it. This may be my next move.

My experience, if you want to call it that, has been with taping dance productions , primarily ballet for a local company. I'll be taping the upcoming performance of Coppelia at the end of the month.

My daughter dances at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg so I am always there on weekends fooling around with a camcorder. I have an awful lot to learn yet and am only beginning to feel comfortable with this new GL.

If you don't mind having a novice along perhaps we can work together sometime.

Tom
Old March 15th, 2003, 07:46 PM   #8
Regular Crew

ok ill respond in order of your comments;

Hey don't sweat it Tom. Although i learned linear editing in HS (96-98, self taught, school had jsut started the program) everything i have learned about non-linear editing i has been self taught within the last year. I have never had any formal instruction on camera/editing/encoding use. The best way to learn is to just try it. I mostly work in premeire/photoshop. I consider myself to be a novice as well. I just found out about this board a couple weeks ago and now I'm on it all the time because there is so much information available.

As far as you stating "which format to use" what do you mean? Are you talking about editing software, output format, etc. Just out of curiousity what kind of NLE or other equipment are you using right now?

I have been using the GL1's for about a year now, and i am just starting to learn about manual adjustment of the exposure/fstop, etc. I dont know if you picked up the cd they were selling at the seminar, i did not and i am still debating gettin one simly because they walk through those kinds of things just like Guy did. i had never messed the settings manually, but after seeing more on this it seems this is the best way to get an even more magnificent picture out of these relatively inexpensive pro-sumer cameras. I'm, looking forward to getting a XL1s very soon and a GL2 in the next couple months.

I dont know if you were able to see the clips on the other post i linked to, if you do let me know what you think. So far most of the footage i have done has been at UNC football games, and a few high school games. The clip of me gettin run over by Dexter Ried of UNC is pretty good, but it hurt! ;-) The price of being a cameraman i guess!

I'm hoping maybe we will have an opportunity to work together sometime, it would definately be interesting. I had even thought about possibly extending my productions to weddings and the like such since there is probably more money involved (more money=more toys to buy!). If i do then a second cameraman would definately be needed. If you ever have the need for a second cameraman yourself for your ballet deal let me know. Maybe we can work something out.

well, we are probably eating up a lot of unneccessary space here, so if you would like just email me. i would be more than happy to help you as best i can with any questions and maybe we can keep each other updated of events in the VA/DC/MD area like the seminar we just participated in. Another guy there i did talk to there said something was coming up in DC soon that im going to be following up on...some kind of technology show.

Trey Perrone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion