DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Where do I start? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/77395-where-do-i-start.html)

Greg Rothschild October 13th, 2006 08:43 AM

Where do I start?

So many questions... I've been a soundman/photographer for the last 16 years (first six years doing entertainment, last 10 years on network news magazine shows) and now I'm buying a camera (XH A1) and I want to learn how to edit. Talk about learning curve... woah. With sound and photography I'm self-taught but now that I've started my research into the world of editing it's pretty overwhelming. Do you think I should take an editing class?
Anyhow- I'm looking at Avid Express Pro- any feedback on how that system will work with the video from the HD XH A1? Any other advice for a newb such as myself? A less expensive editing package would be nice but I've been told that the better the system the easier the editing so I've talked myself into spending the money if it's the right thing to do.
Thanks!
Greg

Nate Weaver October 13th, 2006 10:03 AM

Greg,

Since you're in Los Angeles, and Final Cut Pro is rampant, I very very strongly recommend starting out with that.

Any projects likely to use/hire your camera are also using FCP. Avid of course certainly holds the position we all know them to, but in our neighborhood it's more of a post-house thing. FCP fills the gaps in-between.

Besides, FCP is cheap, and you can always move onto Avid later without wasting money.

Don Donatello October 13th, 2006 10:15 AM

there are workshops , classes available for FCP and Avid in LA area ...
also take a look at "Total training" DVD's ... i find the training DVD's very good

Greg Rothschild October 13th, 2006 11:17 AM

Thanks very much for the replies. Re. FCP- it's Mac only right? Along with everything else I'd be learning... add to that another operating system, as well as the cost of the computer since I'm a PC user now. Given those two things (cost and additional learning curve) would you still recommend FCP?
I'll check out the dvd's Don- thanks.

Jacob Walker October 13th, 2006 12:55 PM

FCP is Mac only. Being a Adobe Premiere user for years (unfortunately still am) I can tell you take the jump to FCP now. Especially if your new to editing, if you want to start making money as an editor, you’ll get more jobs with FCP. Once you invest in the PC world, it’s hard to dig your way out. (when I win the lottery its final cut all the way) :)

As far as learning a new operating system, if you have years of experience with PCs you’ll pick it up in know time, I used PCs for years with video, but when I started doing audio work I learned my way around OS X pretty quick. And since your in LA there are plenty of people to meet and groups to join that will help you out, and you can always ask the dvinfo.net community!

Nate Weaver October 13th, 2006 01:02 PM

If you want to be even a half-assed editor, you're going to have to be familiar with Macs anyway. In Los Angeles, no editor is an island.

Just think of it this way: you buy a new Mac Pro now, you'll have both a PC and a Mac in one.

Greg Rothschild October 13th, 2006 02:10 PM

All right- thanks for all the advice folks. I'll start looking into the Mac world and FCP. I appreciate the help.
Greg