DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   getting the blue out (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/779-getting-blue-out.html)

Bob Zimmerman January 25th, 2002 04:12 PM

getting the blue out

After looking at some of the video I've taken on my TV, I've noticed there will be a few seconds of blue screen. I've been going out shooting differnet things just trying the XL1s. Then I go home and look at what I've done. Then I go out again and shoot more video. The next time I view the whole video the blue screen is there right after each time I had hooked the camera to the TV and watch the video. Does the tape keep going or what? Most camcorders will stop. Any idea's?

Mike Butler January 25th, 2002 04:57 PM

Zim, I have to ask, are you seeing timecode in the VF on the camera?
What you may be getting is timecode breaks. As in truly blank, untracked sections of tape. Maybe?

I wonder what might happen if you were to pre-black the tape before shooting. I know that there are those who don't like the idea of it, but my old habits die hard. I lay down 62 minutes of clean, unbroken timecode and any unshot sections will just be black.

Bob Zimmerman January 25th, 2002 11:09 PM

I shoot some video then hook the XL1 up to my vcr to watch it on my TV. I watch the video until it gets to the end of what I shot. The screen goes blue. I go back out(and I don't rewind the tape) shoot more video. I get home hook it back up to the VCR rewind to the beginning of the tape. Between the first time I was out shooting and the second time there is a few seconds of blue screen. I guess what I should do is when I'm viewing on the VCR/TV I should stop the tape before it goes blank.

I can be out shooting and stop the camera, shut it off, turn it on, etc, but the blue screen is only after I view it on the VCR.

By the way the XL-1s sure takes good video.

Bob Zimmerman January 26th, 2002 08:12 AM

When your in VCR mode and your playing the tape does in play even if there is no recorded video on the tape. Maybe even for just a few seconds? I guess that is what happens. I think with my old Sony the tape would back up alittle.

So I guess the solution is when view in VCR mode, push stop before the recorded part of the tape ends.

Ed Frazier January 26th, 2002 08:44 AM

Use the Rec Search + and Rec Search - buttons in record mode to make sure you are at a point on the tape that has contiguous timecode. Breaks in the timecode will cause problems when you capture to your NLE.

Ed Frazier

Ed Smith January 26th, 2002 10:37 AM

I got a feeling this could be the old pre roll/ post roll soloution.

Basically once you have fininshed watching the tape on the VCR re-wind it back by a couple of seconds (this then gives the camera time to put the record heads on). Then when you go out to shoot again, you just record over the last couple of seconds of video. That should solve the problem.

The reason for preroll/post roll, is because of this problem (and others). once you have finished recoding leave the camera for a few seconds, so when you come to record again (once you viewed it on your VCR) the blue screen should not be there.

Hope this helps, and makes sense,

Ed Smith

Bob Zimmerman January 26th, 2002 04:49 PM

Thanks Ed and Edsmith.