DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Distribution Amp Needed? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/781-distribution-amp-needed.html)

Ed Frazier January 25th, 2002 05:11 PM

Distribution Amp Needed?

An upcoming project will require that a live feed from my XL1S be used to drive two projection TVs, one on each side of the stage in a fairly large high school auditorium. I don't know exactly what the distance from camera to projectors will be, but since two will be used, I will probably need a DA of some sort.

Can anyone recommend a good, portable solution. If I have to purchase something for this project, it might as well be something I could use in the studio for multiple tape duplication as well.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Ed Frazier

Craig Berlin January 28th, 2002 09:45 PM

There are a number of portable options that would work for you. I assume you can use AC power.

If you'll give Mike Belile or myself a call during office hours, we can look at pages with the various options and see if one doesn't suit you. The Comprehensive or TecNec catalogs are a good place to start.

Craig

Ed Frazier January 29th, 2002 07:05 AM

Hi Craig,

Thanks for responding. I checked your website but didn't find any equipment such as DAs and Line Drivers listed. Do you carry these products?

I had been looking at products from the manufacturers you mentioned, but wasn't sure what the difference between a DA and Line Driver was exactly. I also need to get more information about the distances involved and specific equipment before making an informed decision. I will give you a call when I can better describe the situation.

Thanks again for the help.

Ed Frazier

Craig Berlin January 29th, 2002 07:53 AM

Hi Ed,

Yes, although we have not added everything to the website as of yet, we do carry all those type items, primarily on a special order basis.

I don't think you're going to need a line driver unless your cables are exceptionally long. Regardless, I think a DA is appropriate to split your signal while maintaining the quality of the source.

Give us a call and we'll research it for you.

cb

Mike Butler January 31st, 2002 04:34 PM

I don't know if this is something you have a source for MrTapeGuy, but this is what I use: CE Labs Cable Electronics Model 700. Seven Output, True One-to-One Ratio DA. It is small, 9"x2.5"x1" excluding mounting tabs, and runs on 15 volts DC (comes with wall wart power supply). It's not fancy or gee-whiz, and it does not have S-Video connections, which I guess would really push the price up. Maybe something similar can be found from one of your other manufacturers.

I use it to feed my stack of dubbing decks, and tomorrow I am using it in a situation similar to Ed's, where I am playing back a tape into three TVs. You definitely want to use a DA when splitting the signal.