Where there's smoke, there's--- at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 17th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #1
Outer Circle

Where there's smoke, there's---

Where there's smoke, there's heath problems!

In the Vancouver Sun today, there was an interesting article about the hazards of theatrical smokes and fogs (used in the entertainment industry). A $150,000 study was done by the University Of British Columbia. The results of the study showed that staffers suffer from reduced lung capacity and increased long term respiratory irritation. "Other findings include:

1) Fogs produced by gycol fluids resulted in increased incidents of dry cough, dry throat and increased headache, dizziness and tiredness on the testing day.

2) Fogs produced by mineral oil resulted more often in a measurable drop in lung capacity."

My advice? Use dry ice or those Chinese heat sticks---which smoke like crazy!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 10:19 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Dry ice doesn't really work except in instances where you want the fog/smoke to concentrate on the ground. It won't really hang. I'm interested in the Chinese "heat sticks"...not sure I know what this is.

I'm shooting this weekend and plan to use Chinese incense (same thing as "heat sticks"?). This is the type of incense the Buddhist monks burn in the temples here. The sticks are extra long, cheap, and the perfume is very subtle and natural. Get a handful of those going and they produce a lot of smoke that lingers for quite awhile.
Old March 17th, 2003, 11:17 PM   #3
Outer Circle

They are thick sticks used to put close to your body to heat areas which need healing. But they smolder like a smoke bomb instead, and the heat they produce (for healing) is therefore over-clouded. I had a box of these, given to me by a Chinese friend. A box of 50 costs about $3.00. They'd work great for creating smoke, and they smolder for about 45 minutes.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 01:11 PM   #4
Contributor

Maybe that's why I've got scar tissue on my lungs like a smoker...I've always used professional fog machines with Mole Richardson "bug juice," which smells like insecticide.
I understand that some people have also used bee foggers for outside.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 06:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Where can I get those?

I like using sparklers for sparks shooting down in industrial scenes. except buying parklers is expensive in bulk via the internet.
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #6
Outer Circle

In Chinese herbal medicine shops.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion