DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   "I'm Filming In The Rain..." (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/78331-im-filming-rain.html)

Aram Rian October 27th, 2006 11:50 AM

"I'm Filming In The Rain..."

hello, guys.
what would be the best gear for using a camcorder in the rain? i.e. what kind of rainproof equipment and accessories for camera protection would i need to shoot a film on a rainy day?
cheers.

Gabriel Yeager October 27th, 2006 11:55 AM

Haha...

Thats funny. I was just about to ask the same thing... Except, I was also going to ask if a Zip-lock sandwich bag would work to protected my small Elura 100 from the rain. I plan on doing a shoot today and tomorrow, with a possibility of rain. If we could get some answer(s), that would be great!

Thanks,
~Gabriel~

Saturnin Kondratiew October 27th, 2006 12:34 PM

ziplock bags its hwere its at....especialy for samller cameras :D

Gabriel Yeager October 27th, 2006 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturnin Kondratiew
ziplock bags its hwere its at....especialy for samller cameras :D

Thanks, Saturnin! I'll do that. :)

~Gabriel~

Chris Colin Swanson October 28th, 2006 12:11 AM

It would depend on the shoot. You can get away with a ziplock but if you are moving around the bag will make crinkling noise if its not secured. If you have plenty of time to set up and its stationary a ziplock could work but if its windy or hard rain or you have to move around alot I wouldn't recommend it.
It will keep the camera dry most likely but for sound or possibly getting in frame is a problem.

James Harring October 28th, 2006 04:24 AM

Shooting in the rain

EwaMarine makes a number of decent rain covers. I have one of these for the periodic hurricanes that pass by.

I tried Kata, but didn't like theirs that much.

Also bought a PortaBrace - very expensive, but custom to each camera. Used it on horseback in heavy mix of snow/rain.

Overall, I liked PB best of all, as the mic was not encumbered under crinkling plastic like the EwaMarine; but EM is hands down choice for salt water spray, hurricanes etc.

Your mileage will vary, depending on camera you use.

Aram Rian October 28th, 2006 01:04 PM

terribly sorry, but i didn't get anything of what you all said :-)
perhaps not familiar with the terminology yet.
any links to the pictures of the objects you described?
thanks.

Dean Sensui October 28th, 2006 02:09 PM

I covered a Sony TR-81 with a Ziploc bag when shooting a blizzard during a vacation in Mammoth, CA. Worked very well.

But for my HVX200 I'm using a Kata cover.

It's easy to put on and the large clear vinyl makes it easy to see controls, unlike some other covers.

And it's truly rain proof. I was caught in a couple of rain squalls recently and the camera remained bone dry inside.

The only problem is that when the sun comes out, all that clear vinyl acts like a greenhouse. It can get very warm in there if you're not careful.