Movie making: 16mm vs HDV vs SDV - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 6th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #16
Major Player

David Lynch's "Inland Empire" was shot on a Sony PD150 Mini DV (SD).

It's impressive to see what a good set, lighting and post-production can make of a DV master (I haven't seen it in the theatre though).
However, Lynch filmed it himself and oftentimes used the auto focus - there are quite a few typical auto-focus errors in the movie where the talent's face is out of focus while the back wall is in focus...
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan James View Post
<snip> So basically what format should I shoot with?
Alan -
Perhaps my comment is misplaced, with this being a tech forum but here's my advice. Figure out your budget. Assuming your low/no budget you will probably be shooting video. Now, again assuming you're low/no budget, the choice is probably between DV and HDV. The choice is, obviously, shoot on the format you can AFFORD to shoot and finish your project with.

But more importantly, concentrate on your story, your script, your characters and how you will tell your story visually. This stuff is WAY more important that what you shoot on. Look at it this way - if you deliver a compelling story that people want to see - no one in the world will care what you shot on.

just my $.02
Mike Stivala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #18
Major Player

Alan,

Dusting the cobwebs off my film school memories.....
A 16mm Kodachrome II camera original looked every bit as good as any HD video of today. But when I shot 16mm Ektachome EF (a high-speed stock), and had a print made from A&B rolls, it looked closer to SD video. A 16mm print made from 16mm Eastman Color Negative should produce results coming close to HD (but without motion artifacts).

HOWEVER, going the film route is SO EXPENSIVE and TIME CONSUMING!!! The cost of the camera film is expensive, then you have to get it processed, then you have to get a one-light print made for editing, then you have to conform the negatives to the edited one-light (you did have a safety internegative made first, right?), then you have the first answer print made, and eventually a release print.

Video is so much easier and affordable!!! Get a camera like the Sony PMW-EX1 or the Panasonic HPX500, or even the HVX200.

And to echo Mike's comment: A good story, well told, trumps everything else.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Hull; December 8th, 2007 at 03:52 PM.
Ken Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion