I want the best possible shot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 30th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #1
New Boot

I want the best possible shot

I have a Sony vx2100 which I use for filming snowboarding. I’ve always had a passion for photography and snowboarding. Ever since I shattered my leg in a car wreck I can’t really snowboard like I used to so I recently took up filming it. Almost all of the filming I do is in very well light outdoor situations. I got the camera last year and did a lot of experimenting with different settings and such to try and find the best looking, most colorful and vibrant shot my camera can provide. I wanted to know if anyone could help me out with some info on how to get that shot or at least where to find information.
Frank Tomkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Frank,

Have you used an ND4 or 8 Filter, or a Polarizer Filter yet ?? These can help in those Xtra brite outdoor situations. For the snow I'd try the Polarizer for sure.

Are you certain your Monitor is porperly optimized (calibrated) to give you it's best Picture ?? Using either the Video Essentials or the Avia DVDs will help get it close, and a better Pic than you can get by just tuning to what you may think it should be. You may have the good Video signal, but if your monitor is not setup well, you may not know it.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #3
New Boot

still a rookie

thanks for the info. I have a polorized filter i can use but my century optics fisheye won't fit with any filters on there. I use the century a lot so i was wondering what camera settings i should be using, such as: aperture, shutter speed, gain and all that stuff. I'm still kinda a rookie with the thing, and this season i'm supposed to be filming with some up and coming production companies and I want to know my equipment really well. Are there any books or websites that can help me out?
Frank Tomkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Frank:

Shoot on manual.

Use zebras for exposure. I think I would set at 100% and when the the snow gets to just zebraing, then maybe back off a bit.

In bright conditions, you will likely have to shoot over 1/60 unless you add and external nuetral density filter, but that will usually be good enough even for action otherwise.

Actually the Sony autofocus is pretty quick and decently accurate even on the move, but most the pros want to shoot on manual focus so its not showing autofocus "hunt". It will take practice, but learn to do it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion