DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   HELP?! Looking for Cheap Method of Video Pass-Through! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/78809-help-looking-cheap-method-video-pass-through.html)

Laurence Maher November 3rd, 2006 09:16 AM

HELP?! Looking for Cheap Method of Video Pass-Through!

I think it's a total waste to spend 2-300 bucks on an a/v converter box when 3ccd camcorders are so cheap on ebay for like 4 to 5 hundred now. I considered the Panasonic PV-GS180 because it's rumored to do Pass-through with av and S-video. But some places say yes and some no. WHICH ONE IS IT?

Also:

Can someone suggest a cheap alternative?

I tried the ADS Pyro A/V Link, but the sucker doesn't work at all on my Mac OSX version 3.9.

Cheapest Alternative I've found is the supposedly reliable $200+ Canopus ADVC-110.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks!

Chris Hurd November 3rd, 2006 09:40 AM

A total waste to spend 2-300 bucks on an a/v converter box? I disagree completely. The Canopus family of converters are the best bang for the buck, featuring the best DV codec you can get. Plus, guaranteed to work with a Mac. The Canopus ADVC110 is less than $250 at VideoGuys (a DV Info Net sponsor): http://www.videoguys.com/ADVC.html

Richard Alvarez November 3rd, 2006 09:59 AM

I've got the canopus ADVC 110... and it's priceless. Aboslutely reliable, and I'll NEVER get rid of it. People come to me with all sorts of analogue material, sometimes I have to go to thrift stores to find the cameras... and the canopus does a great job. I've thought about getting the top-line version, I forget the number, 300 I think. It's got a TBC in it.

I do most of my editing/dubbing with the DSR11, and it's also excellent.

Steve Leverich November 4th, 2006 12:25 AM

I have the 300 as well as the TwinPact 100 - was looking at a VHS tape thru the TwinPact the other day, and kept trying to stop/eject the DVD player - no sign of chroma noise, no top flagging (VCR tension), just a perfectly clear, stable picture.

The TwinPact100 is less than $100 more than the ADVC300, and offers VGA pass-thru/zooming, etc, as well as a remote that lets you access the built-in color bar signal (available in both) with the push of a button (the 300 makes you turn it off, and move a dip switch)

Bought the TwinPact because of the pass-thru so I could make DV out of any computer graphic mainly.

Ya get whatcha pay for, and these boxes are no exception... Steve

Glenn Chan November 4th, 2006 09:57 PM

From what I hear:

The Canopus boxes have a time-base correction, which helps with analog formats.

They will also handle 7.5 IRE setup correctly, unlike the vast majority of DV equipment (i.e. DSR11).
http://glennchan.info/articles/techn...5IREsetup.html

Kevin Randolph November 5th, 2006 06:56 PM

Canopus ADVC 110

I also have a canopus converter and not only does it do a great job with video capture, (and I'm relatively new to editing, so this may be apparent with all converters) but it does a tremendous job at video output to a cheap TV I've got to check for interlace flicker.

I bought it for a digital 8 conversion job and it did exceptional well. The only problem I had with it was one tape had a small amount of static on it that caused the picture to roll periodically. I had to dump that tape to miniDV and then import it through my TRV11 (I know, ancient camera).

Tim Borek November 7th, 2006 05:11 PM

I've used a GS120 for pass-through, and it's worked fine. Sometimes I have problems with the audio and video getting out of synch. I recommend using a dedicated A/D/D/A converter box like the Canopus or Datavideo products for mission-critical work. If you're getting paid for this, buy a better tool. It won't let you down. Syncing audio and video on the timeline manually is no fun.

T.J.

Bill Mecca November 29th, 2006 11:37 AM

Anyone using the Ads Pyro AV Link with Avid Xpress Pro 4.6?

Richard Alvarez November 29th, 2006 11:41 AM

Bill,

I cut with AXP 4.6, and like I said, use the DSR-11 o rmy Canopus ADVC 100. WHat's your question?

Steve Leverich November 29th, 2006 01:50 PM

Candace, I just looked/searched thru the entire manual for that cam

http://service.us.panasonic.com/Oper...?model=PVGS180

And found nothing about using the s-video jack for INput; doesn't mean you can't do it, but if you're half-way serious about what you're doing you can NOT go wrong by getting a dedicated converter box - as Glenn mentioned, in addition to the comments I made the Canopus boxes I have both do time base correction, video noise reduction, and will convert anything (except component) to anything and do a REALLY good job of it. The ADVC-300 will also do component, but I've yet to find a source for the non-standard connection it uses.

If you're on a tight budget and ALSO need a second cam for quasi-2 camera shoots (set one cam up on tripod with a wide shot, then run the other and switch between them after) then getting a second cam makes more sense - but I'd still budget for a converter box - no moving parts to wear out, you can leave it connected to your editing station, MUCH better conversion/pass-thru quality, etc. -

Those two particular Canopus boxes also put out color bars so you can set up your preview monitor for ACCURATE color - this is the only way to know that your final product isn't "green around the gills" from an improper WB setup or something similar.

Hope this helped... Steve

Tim Ribich November 29th, 2006 06:49 PM

Some conversion basics

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
I've got the canopus ADVC 110... and it's priceless. Aboslutely reliable, and I'll NEVER get rid of it. People come to me with all sorts of analogue material, sometimes I have to go to thrift stores to find the cameras... and the canopus does a great job. I've thought about getting the top-line version, I forget the number, 300 I think. It's got a TBC in it.

I do most of my editing/dubbing with the DSR11, and it's also excellent.

Hi Richard,

If I understand how this works, a unit such as the ADVC 110 (or ADVC300) would be a good choice for converting a rather large VCR tape library to DVDs? Could you describe briefly your workflow for such a conversion-- not sure where/how the DSR11 comes into play?

Thanks.,