DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   production company name change? opinions please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/78965-production-company-name-change-opinions-please.html)

Michael Rapadas November 6th, 2006 12:16 AM

production company name change? opinions please

Hey dvinfo family! I started up my production company in August and I've been progressing and improved since then. I feel as if I should change my name. Just a random thought. The names are relavant, just different. I figured if i change the name now, better now then later once it is well-known. (if even well-known, hahaha!) Here are my two options:

1) keep the old name : inVISIONit studios

2) change it up : project vision films or project vision productions

please let me know ur opinion

Brian Wells November 6th, 2006 02:12 AM

What's wrong with using your first and last name?

Eric Darling November 6th, 2006 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Wells
What's wrong with using your first and last name?

If you ever want to sell your business, it will have less value than a common name would have to any prospective buyers who don't have your exact same name, which is pretty much anyone other than your son, if you named him after yourself.

The importance of choosing a proper name of your business should not be underestimated. In certain rare cases, naming your business after yourself works if you're a brand unto yourself (Donald Trump, for instance), where your name will outlive you. But few of us will ever garner that kind of fame.

The further along your business grows, the harder it is to change your identity and not suffer ill consequences. Take if from someone who changed the name of his business after 5 years - it took money and time to change all of our marketing material, but it has taken much longer for the name to register with all of our clients. In my case, I still think it was the right decision, but I'm glad I thought long and hard about the whole process first.

Kevin Randolph November 6th, 2006 09:26 AM

too close to existing companies

I like the old name... it's creative and I think that there are a lot of tag line and logo ideas that can come easily with "inVISIONit"

I did a quick google search and quickly found another company as "Vision Films" and one or two as "Vision Productions." I know that your looking at "Project Vision _______" but I think that it is too close to what is already out there.

When I did a google search on inVISIONit... I think the only thing returned on the first page was you, provided that you did those commercials on youtube.

Just my two cents, take it or leave it.

Benjamin Hill November 6th, 2006 10:15 AM

These are all good points and I especially agree with Brian. If you use your own name or something equally unique, you can build an original brand that can't be confused with other production companies. Some people who are just starting out pick names that are very similar to existing companies, in order to "fit in". In my opinion, this is the hard way to go about it. Assuming your work is distinctive in some way, a unique name will do more to strengthen your brand than something more common.

Paul Cypert November 7th, 2006 05:05 AM

I don't think it's wise to change if you're just establishing your name in the community. If you're moving, adding something dramatically different, or completely jumping price brackets maybe...but even then I'd be hesitant.

I'm slowly phasing out my old name, but am on a two to three year plan as I'm known by the old one (even if only by a few)...it costs something like 3 times the amount to generate new revenue than keep existing customers...

Paul

Ronald Lee November 8th, 2006 03:40 AM

Ok, I've been studying business and marketing and I think you should chuck your name and go for a better sounding easier name. To us geeks the name you have is cool, but to the people who will give you money, you will have a stronger company with a name that is easier to identify.

Ronald