production company name change? opinions please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 6th, 2006, 12:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

production company name change? opinions please

Hey dvinfo family! I started up my production company in August and I've been progressing and improved since then. I feel as if I should change my name. Just a random thought. The names are relavant, just different. I figured if i change the name now, better now then later once it is well-known. (if even well-known, hahaha!) Here are my two options:

1) keep the old name : inVISIONit studios

2) change it up : project vision films or project vision productions

please let me know ur opinion
Michael Rapadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

What's wrong with using your first and last name?
Brian Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wells
What's wrong with using your first and last name?
If you ever want to sell your business, it will have less value than a common name would have to any prospective buyers who don't have your exact same name, which is pretty much anyone other than your son, if you named him after yourself.

The importance of choosing a proper name of your business should not be underestimated. In certain rare cases, naming your business after yourself works if you're a brand unto yourself (Donald Trump, for instance), where your name will outlive you. But few of us will ever garner that kind of fame.

The further along your business grows, the harder it is to change your identity and not suffer ill consequences. Take if from someone who changed the name of his business after 5 years - it took money and time to change all of our marketing material, but it has taken much longer for the name to register with all of our clients. In my case, I still think it was the right decision, but I'm glad I thought long and hard about the whole process first.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #4
Major Player

too close to existing companies

I like the old name... it's creative and I think that there are a lot of tag line and logo ideas that can come easily with "inVISIONit"

I did a quick google search and quickly found another company as "Vision Films" and one or two as "Vision Productions." I know that your looking at "Project Vision _______" but I think that it is too close to what is already out there.

When I did a google search on inVISIONit... I think the only thing returned on the first page was you, provided that you did those commercials on youtube.

Just my two cents, take it or leave it.
Old November 6th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #5
Major Player

These are all good points and I especially agree with Brian. If you use your own name or something equally unique, you can build an original brand that can't be confused with other production companies. Some people who are just starting out pick names that are very similar to existing companies, in order to "fit in". In my opinion, this is the hard way to go about it. Assuming your work is distinctive in some way, a unique name will do more to strengthen your brand than something more common.
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I don't think it's wise to change if you're just establishing your name in the community. If you're moving, adding something dramatically different, or completely jumping price brackets maybe...but even then I'd be hesitant.

I'm slowly phasing out my old name, but am on a two to three year plan as I'm known by the old one (even if only by a few)...it costs something like 3 times the amount to generate new revenue than keep existing customers...

Paul
Paul Cypert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:40 AM   #7
Major Player

Ok, I've been studying business and marketing and I think you should chuck your name and go for a better sounding easier name. To us geeks the name you have is cool, but to the people who will give you money, you will have a stronger company with a name that is easier to identify.

Ronald
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion