Filters: ND or Polarizer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 29th, 2003, 03:47 AM   #16
Wrangler

Mark:

The standard measure for ND filters is that a ND .3 equals one stop of light reduction, and thus a .6 is 2 stops and so on. This will be acurate for filters made by professional manufacturers such as Tiffen, B&W/Schneider etc. On this page is a chart (scroll down) that lists the strengths and transmission of the ND series.
Old March 30th, 2003, 07:25 AM   #17
Warden

Avoid cheap ND filters (Quantaray etc.) because they may give your video an unusual color tint (they aren’t very neutral). There are several threads here about this effect.

I use circular polarizers for my video work. They are not that much more than linear polarizers and have the added benefit of doing double duty on your 35mm SLR (almost all modern cameras require circular polarizers). The use of circular polarizers on video cameras is somewhat controversial and has been discussed here in depth. Use the Search function if you want more information on the subject.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 05:59 AM   #18
New Boot

I am a little surprised at the recomendation for linear polarizers for an auto-focus system, whether still photographic or video. Linear polarizers and circular polarizers are not the same. Using a linear polarizer on an autofocus system can not only affect the autofocus system, but also the metering system.

It is a known fact to filter manufacturers, and we always tried to educate dealers on the differences. This said, you can use a linear polarizer on an autofocus system, however, there is no guarantee. The bottom line has been, if you use linear on an auto-system you run the risk of affecting the auto-focus and metering systems of your cam and while you can't necessarily predict WHEN this will happen to you, or if you are ever in a certain situation that may increase your risk, you WILL then lose your shot, and in some instances, shots are not re-creatable. This is usually why amatuers who are more concerned with cost than with quality and reliability buy linear and take the risks, pro's buy circular since they can't afford to lose an important shot due to trying to work "on the cheap".
David Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 06:21 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Linear polarizer dusturbs mostly SLR TTL focusing that use microprizms or similar stuff for focusing.
Most videocams use more simple contrast-detection AF systems. I do not see how they can be affected by linear polarizer.
Did you see any videocam suffering from it? What brand?
Vladimir Koifman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #20
Trustee

I think it's more of a case that people aren't sure and recomend the circular just to be safe.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 05:51 PM   #21
New Boot

Linear polarizers and circular polarizers handle light differently. I haven't tested it on video cameras, however, I can tell you two things, first, as I mentioned, you CAN use linear with auto-focus systems, BUT the results are not guaranteed and in different circumstances people may get different results - in other words...your mileage may vary...and pro's can't afford to take chances. Secondly, as I also mentioned, it is not just auto-focus that can be affected, but the metering system as well.
Old June 9th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #22
Wrangler

<<you CAN use linear with auto-focus systems, BUT the results are not guaranteed ...and pro's can't afford to take chances.>>

This may be obvious but as a rule, "pros" don't use auto-focus.

I have personally never experienced metering problems using a linear pola on a broadcast video camera.
Old June 10th, 2003, 04:28 AM   #23
New Boot

Well that's fine. Aside from the fact that every pro I ever met uses circular, and every dealer I ever dealt with agrees, as do the filter manufacturers themselves and camera manufacturers. Suffice it to say, to each his own, good luck and enjoy.
Old June 10th, 2003, 09:28 AM   #24
Wrangler

Then I'd say you just met your first pro who doesn't use one.

All the best,
Old June 10th, 2003, 09:45 AM   #25
Major Player

David, I think you don't realise that "autofocus" (and other "metering" concepts in video) are in no way related to the systems used in some photographic camera's. If there are reasons for using circulars in video, it's for shure not the autofucus...which is involved.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2003, 04:52 AM   #26
Major Player

Pro's don't use auto-focus.
John Threat is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion