Replacement for my digital8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 12th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Replacement for my digital8

My Sony DCR-TRV240 digital8 was recently stolen along with our vehicle. I have lots of shoe boxes of home movies (8, Hi8, and D8) that I haven't gotten to convert to DVD yet and I hate that I'm going to have to get another digital8 cam to replace the old, but it's what I have to do.

I'm well over-due for a new cam and I really want a panasonic GS400, but that's going to have to wait.

What I'm looking for is a used sony digital8 that is a better cam than the newer models that have had features taken away.

Ebay has a few used models and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on models I am looking for. I'll need it by Christmas, so time it tight.

Thanks.

Last edited by Jacob Burson; November 13th, 2006 at 02:00 PM.
Jacob Burson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #2
Trustee

It looks like digital8 is on it's way out. B&H has only one model available. Fortunately, it is very affordable:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Just go to the camcorders section of B&H and select digital8. I think the problem is that digital8 is mostly a sony-only format and most companies switched over to miniDV from Hi-8. Now, HDV is using the same tapes as miniDV so it seems like the format to use for a while. Before long, we won't be using tape at all.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Now I'm just stressed out.

I've been doing research for days now and I'm still not sure. Considering my budget, I think I want a panasonic from the GS series. I'm not going for a digital8 replacement. I figure I'll be able to get one of those from the clearance rack for a good price before too long or a used one.

Anyways. I've narrowed my choices to the panasonic GS200, 250, 300, 400, and 500. Actually, I think the 300 and 500 are out since they aren't really upgrades from their previous versions. I like the GS models because they're not super tiny, have 3 CCDs, and have other features I need.

This cam will be used for family stuff and I'll also use it with my small, side business. I'll use it for interviews so I'll need to have a headphone jack and microphone hotshoe. I'm a believer that the camera is only part of the equation to shooting good video. To me lighting and sound are very important. Then again, I'm not a pro so I could be wrong about that.

Maybe I'm wrong about the GS300 and 500 as well. Circuit city has the GS300 for $476.00 right now, but it lacks features I want. I'd like some advice, but I'd like to vent a little too.

Very frustrating. I want a GL2, but wife says no and until I prove to her that I'm taking the side business seriously by bringing in more customers, that's the way it's going to be.

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Old November 15th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You may want to broaden your search a bit and beef it up to an HD camera... SD will be history in about two years... just my two cents...
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas
You may want to broaden your search a bit and beef it up to an HD camera... SD will be history in about two years... just my two cents...
Depends on what your business is. My clients will still be using SD 5 years from now. Some still request delivery in VHS. Obviously someday everything will be some form of HD at some point in time, but I don't see it happening in two years. We are many years after the introduction of DVD's and there are still people using and requesting VHS. SD being history will take way more than two years.
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Can't justify HD yet.

The hand full of clients I have each year are ecstatic with the product I give them. The last thing on their minds is HD. Until HD is common and every channel on cable, satellite, and broadcast TV is HD, the masses don't care.

We like it because we're "in the field". We're also much more critical of our own work than most of our customers are. I have yet to have a customer that wasn't thrilled with their video and I don't think I'm doing anything special.

Like Jeff was saying, folks still request VHS. Actually, my wife is the reason why I'm not getting the camera I really want, but that's fine. It makes me prove that I want to get better and am serious about my work before I spend the big $$$.
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault
It looks like digital8 is on it's way out. B&H has only one model available. Fortunately, it is very affordable:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Just go to the camcorders section of B&H and select digital8. I think the problem is that digital8 is mostly a sony-only format and most companies switched over to miniDV from Hi-8. Now, HDV is using the same tapes as miniDV so it seems like the format to use for a while. Before long, we won't be using tape at all.

Yeah, it's on it's way out. Lucky for me I guess. They're going for less than $200 new on ebay.

I don't know the whole story, but I think Sony used the digital8 format to give people a transition from the analog format to digital. My old digital8 could playback all of my old 8 and Hi8 tapes from way back. I'd like to always have a digital8 cam availiable.
Jacob Burson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion