Wireless digital video transmitters... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 17th, 2006, 12:42 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Wireless digital video transmitters...

I was just wondering if wondering if compact digital wireless video transmitters exist for cameras like the VX series, the FX series, The Z1 or the V1...

And if they do exist, I'd like to know what they look like.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang
I was just wondering if wondering if compact digital wireless video transmitters exist for cameras like the VX series, the FX series, The Z1 or the V1...

And if they do exist, I'd like to know what they look like.
They look like trucks, the network satellite transmission ones! The rest of us are out of the loop.

Mike
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

sony makes a device like that but it cost probably 3 times the price of the FX1.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #4
Trustee

I swear I saw one last year in the Tiffen display that was from IDX at Cinegear. The cost was around $600 USD from what I heard. They had it broadcasting the feed from the Steadicams running on the Handsfree mod of the Segway.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ellis
I swear I saw one last year in the Tiffen display that was from IDX at Cinegear. The cost was around $600 USD from what I heard. They had it broadcasting the feed from the Steadicams running on the Handsfree mod of the Segway.
If that were indeed the case, most of us here would have one. It was probably a device to transmit a standard TV signal, that could be recieved at another location just to monitor what was being recorded. Those devices do exist. They are, however, not capable of transmitting a full DV signal, uncompressed or compressed.

They will exist soon, but there may be trouble with band frequencies. But, how nice it would be to have one, and not worry about tapes, DVD's, P2 cards etc.!

Mike
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Sign me up for a three of them when you start taking pre-orders...

Lol...
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

http://catalogs.infocommiq.com/AVCat...=329475&T3=304
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois

Compressed to MPEG-2. Thus, basically only for monitor output. Unless of course, you will be satified with MPEG-2 as your highest possible resolution.

Neat though! Oh, $18,825.00 U.S. List Price

Mike
Old November 18th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #9
Major Player

HDV is MPEG-2, so that's not an issue for the FX, Z1, V1, etc. However that particular Sony product only has a video data rate capacity of 5-15 Mbps. 1080i (1440 x 1080, interlaced) has a data rate of approximately 25 Mbps, so you won't be able to fit HDV down that signal. As Mike said, it's really only good for previewing or for example, using for on-stage cameras for a live feed to a projector (where the audience won't notice/care about the difference in quality).

JVC has a system that supports wireless HD over around 2km. However you're talking serious money (around AUD$40,000).

Lightpointe also make a wireless video system - but again, serious money (around AUD$85,000).

If you're shooting on a FX, Z1, V1, etc. there's NO WAY you can afford one of this systems - this year anyway.
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #10
Trustee

We've had some success using LIPD gear made for security cameras combined with high gain aerials. The image quality from the composite feed is pretty hohum and if something big crosses the transmission path you'll likely get a loss of sync as the receivers AGC can't respond fast enough. We've got usefull signal over very long paths, 100M no problem and that's with a brick wall in the way.
However for under AUD 1000 all up it does have its uses, live feeds from the dance floor, monitoring etc.
I fitted the transmitter into a small box with a cold shoe adaptor and it sits quite nicely atop a PD 170.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #11
Inner Circle

these guys have the solution, but there is no product yet made out of it.
they expect CES Las Vega january 2007 to show some product.
http://www.tzerotech.com/site/
Old November 19th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #12
Wrangler

This related tidbit appears in the current edition of BARRONS:

Quote:
...a number of consumer-electronics manufacturers announced the formation of an organization to promote what they call WirelessHD, earlier this month. The technology is designed to transmit high-definition video across a room, without any entangling cables. What distinguishes Wireless HD from WiFi, WiMAX, WiMedia, Bluetooth, Ultrawideband and ZigBe is its ability to stream uncompressed high-def video.

A prime mover behind the technology is a Sunnyvale, Calif., startup called SiBEAM. The company has figured out how to send wireless signals at the amazing frequency of 60 billion cycles a second. What's more, SiBEAM can do it all on conventional silicon chips, thanks to technology it licensed from the University of California/Berkeley. SiBEAM's chief executive, John LeMoncheck, expects his chips to show up in products in 2008.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Buy professional tools and you only cry once, instead of every time it breaks.

I'm surprised some of the Steadicam guys haven't chimed in yet. The industry standard device for this application is the Canatrans UHF transmitter. It is an analog transmitter that sends video to a regular television. It is a super reliable professional tool, which helps explain the $4k price tag.

IDX makes a digital transmitter and receiver that works over the WiFi system. A complete IDX package is roughly half the price of the Canatrans, with better video quality. The downside to the IDX system is that the video is delayed a half second, due to the real time digital compression.

Another solution to professional systems are these "inexpensive" 1.2Ghz and 2.4Ghz wireless home video security systems. The biggest issue with these cheap "gigahertz" systems is that the reception is awful, particularly when the camera is moving. They lose radio sync often which shows up as a picture disturbance about every second or two while the camera is in motion. I have gone through several of these devices and I would say they aren't rugged enough for professional use. The low price is a false economy, because they must be replaced when they break. And, they will.
Brian Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #14
Wrangler

I just figured that everyone was talking about transmission for delivery (i.e. recording) rather than monitoring, although I personally didn't read that into the first post.

The only thing I would modify in Brian's post about monitoring systems is that the Modulus is still probably the industry standard in that there are more of them out there as they have been around for years, but the Canatrans is the popular newcomer that is fast catching up. As such I would expect that some Moduli will be coming on the used market and they would be great for smaller cameras as they are about 1/3 the size/weight of the Canatrans (a sad development in my mind considering it is "advanced" system).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion