Advice on whether to buy a cheap 2nd cam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 24th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #1
New Boot

Advice on whether to buy a cheap 2nd cam?

Hello-
Happy Thanksgiving to all. Best Buy is going to sell some bottom end DV cameras for black friday. They have a Samsung SC-D363 for $129. I got my XL2 two months ago and would love another camera for capture and very secondary additional shots, if only to bring a bit of variety to my concert/wedding events. I don't expect a lot for my hundred bucks, but would love to have a camera I can actually keep in a backpack and keep the miles off my new Canon friend when capturing footage.. Since Chris has created the finest video resource in the world I am hopeful somebody could give me their opinion before 5 am pacific time when they start selling. I guess the options would be A. try to get one or B. spend twice that and get something a bit better for my backup later on.. Sorry if my post is misplaced. Thanks!
-Dan
Dan Rubsamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

go for it.

The cheap camera will be worth it just to use as a capture deck-- assuming it will work for that purpose. I assume it has a firewire port out. If so, it should work with you minidv footage shot at regular speed. If you shoot at extended play, expect problems. Occasionally, too, we have heard of situations where a manufacturers track may run outside the track another camera can pick up.

I wouldn't expect much satisfaction from the video from a cheap camera. You might be able to use a clip or two, if you are lucky, but don't expect much...
Old November 24th, 2006, 04:40 AM   #3
New Boot

wow

I got there at 2am and several hundred ! people were already in line...
I guess the question I would pose is now:
If I am searching for a second camera that is on the very budget side of things, what would a good choice be? I don't know at what point you get better than bottom dollar DV picture.. perhaps the models with some zeiss optics or even
just a larger lense? God bless the auto functions on my XL2- this is gonna be a long embarassing road of learning. I appreciate all the answers everybody contributes. DVinfo genuinely almost feels like I have somehow hacked into a professional video knowledge database which I should not be allowed into. Much thanks-
Dan
Old November 24th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Same question here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rubsamen
If I am searching for a second camera that is on the very budget side of things, what would a good choice be? I don't know at what point you get better than bottom dollar DV picture.. perhaps the models with some zeiss optics or even
just a larger lense?
Hi Dan,

I'm also looking for an inexpensive 2nd camera and have pretty much the same questions. Thanks for asking. <g>
Tim Ribich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rubsamen
IGod bless the auto functions on my XL2- this is gonna be a long embarassing road of learning. I appreciate all the answers everybody contributes.
One thing I learned today that is very interesting and useful, is that in auto mode, when you push iris lock, you can then change the iris and the frame rate! I did not know that, and it could be very useful!

Mike
Old November 24th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
One thing I learned today that is very interesting and useful, is that in auto mode, when you push iris lock, you can then change the iris and the frame rate! I did not know that, and it could be very useful!

Mike
In the single chips line, consider the Canon Optura line.

In the cheap three chip cameras, look at the Panasonic GS 120 through GS 500 series of cameras.

Sony had the 950 for around $1k. Not sure whether it is still manufactured...

Then you are into some HDV stuff from Canon (HV1) and Sony (HC1, HC3, and A1U.

Next step from there-- Canon GL2

Then Sony VX2100-- and the Pro versiion PD 170 (in 2ks)

FX 1 and FX 7, both HDV/SD come in next....
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I think your idea is a good one, that is, getting a second cam to use for POV shots at weddings. You didn't use the work backup, but you didn't talk about having a second Canon either, so whatever you buy will have to serve as backup.

Then the question is, if you are at a wedding and the main camera goes down, what do you want to have to salvage the situation?

The second cam should be able to do some things the main cam cannot, such as be usable in a limo or other tight space, be usable by someone in the event as a POV cam, work well as a guest camera at churches which restrict you, and get good b-roll shots while your main cam is on a tripod.

When I was in DV mode (I'm HD now) I had a PD150 as main cam and small TRV 900 as second cam. Both were 3-chip. I had an extreme wide adapter for the TRV 900 as well as a lightstand mount adapter.

So you want to get a 2nd cam that is solid enough to cover you, and hold up under the rigors of capturing too. The $129 cam may not do that.

You might also use this as a time to get into HDV. Think about that.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 01:17 AM   #8
New Boot

Thanks guys!

Excellent info from everybody. Nice to throw more brains at problems which many people encounter. It seems like the deeper I get in (the shallow end of) this dream I have ventured into the more I realize the staggering valleys that lay ahead.. both financial and knowledge based shortcomings that I will need to answer before I can cross them. My PC is limping, my Hdd are all filling fast, and I have two years worth of homework sitting on dvinfo waiting for me. Insurmountable odds, yet I feel the call. Ah but I wax poetic. Wish me luck and thanks for the answers.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 06:45 AM   #9
Major Player

s-video output connection?

the B&H Photo site says the Samsung SC-D363 has an s-video connection, but the samsung spec sheet doesn't mention s-video.

I'm looking to use it as a pass through device - to connect my computer to my production monitor.

anyone know for sure?

(added later) I finally found the manual online, and it looks like it DOESN'T have s-video. :(

Last edited by Robert Bobson; December 2nd, 2006 at 07:22 AM.
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion